8 gauge Lindner Daly

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
ROMAC

8 gauge Lindner Daly

Post by ROMAC »

Why let Steggy (Jeff) have all the fun at Hauseman's this June!

Back in November I dropped a huge clue but nobody picked up on it. I said I was "Jone's-ing" for some 8 gauge ammo in Steggy's thread about his gun "Sally", so here is my introduction to "Mrs. Jones". She's a Zaftig long legged beauty with Jones underlever, 33 inch barrels and comes in a tad under 15 pounds at 14 pounds 12 ounces.

I picked up this Jones underlever 8 gauge behemoth back then but was sitting on it while I accumulated supplies to feed the beast. Hulls and wads were out of stock at the time so as things became available I was able to cross some things off the needed list. My most immediate problem now is that I need to swage the extra thick "band" on the 100 new industrial hulls that I got from Ballistic products or I'd be reloading already. When I bought the gun I also got a dozen or so brass hulls as well. Only 2 fit in the gun all the way, the other ten tighten up the last 1/4 inch or so and I don't want to jam them in. A closer inspection showed that the 2 that fit have a different head stamp so hopefully the ones that don't fit can be resized as well or maybe shortened just a bit. I'd also like to get my hands on some once fired industrial hulls as well. You can go broke fast buying new when they are available and the crimps are sometimes challenging to get right.

I have MEC re-loaders for 10,12 and 16 gauge so I started to accumulate the things I will need to reload the 8. I bought a chamfer bit and roll crimper, wads, and cards so I can get started once I get the hulls taken care of. I might look into the pieces I need to set up one of the MEC's for reloading 8's with a crimp also. I wish I still had my rock chucker press for resizing so I'll need one of those plus the swaging dies if I'm going to do it myself.

This is perfect weather for doing some reloading down in the man cave. I've already loaded up all my short ten RTS hulls or I'd pump out some more of them.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
44whiskey

Re: 8 gauge Lindner Daly

Post by 44whiskey »

what a lovely beast,beautiful. good on you Roger :wink: ps what does she weigh?
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Wow! Congratulations Roger. Craig will be so proud. I own 2 Lindner guns and I love them. The workmanship is outstanding. Yours has nice wood, and great checkering. Looks like a piece of horn on the tip of the forearm. 👍 I can’t wait to see it at Hausmann’s this year.

Thanks for mentioning Sally. Your gun has huge barrels. Perhaps you should name her Tempest?
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Thanks Jeff, but I'm sold on "Mrs. Jones"

I just have to get some shells loaded.

We should try to see if it would be possible to set up a re-loaders' table for a hands on training session at Hauseman's or Mike's this summer where people could bring their own supplies and learn to load up for the shooting. Someone would need to bring a press and swaging dies as well as a loader. I'd volunteer to bring my roll crimper and a cordless drill. I think it would be pretty cool, albeit not exactly a fox event.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

44whiskey wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:16 pm what a lovely beast,beautiful. good on you Roger :wink: ps what does she weigh?
14 pounds, 12 ounces unloaded.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

ROMAC wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:16 pm Thanks Jeff, but I'm sold on "Mrs. Jones"

I just have to get some shells loaded.

We should try to see if it would be possible to set up a re-loaders' table for a hands on training session at Hauseman's or Mike's this summer where people could bring their own supplies and learn to load up for the shooting. Someone would need to bring a press and swaging dies as well as a loader. I'd volunteer to bring my roll crimper and a cordless drill. I think it would be pretty cool, albeit not exactly a fox event.
Awesome suggestion
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Roger, I think Lindner Dalys are beautiful guns. The “fit and finish” is amazing. Regrettably, I know nothing about the “Jones under lever” style. What can you tell us about that style? I’m going to guess that it’s a very early gun. My hammerless Lindner has HAL stamped just above the crossed pistols. This gun is circa 1911. My 10 ga. Lindner Hammer gun is stamped with just the crossed pistols. It does not have the HAL. My understanding is that they started adding the “HAL” in 1889. Are there two tiny initials stamped on the underside of the barrel, close to the rib? Mine is stamped KS, which means that Karl Streng made the barrels for Lindner (just a bit of useless trivia). I need to find my Lindner book.
IMG_4470.jpeg
IMG_4468.jpeg
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Found my book. Very nice. And look, they also made a 4 ga. A 4 ga. would be mighty impressive at Hausmann’s.
IMG_4471.jpeg
Stan Hoover

Post by Stan Hoover »

Nice find there Roger,

Welcome to the 8 gauge CLUB,

I enjoy loading and shooting the big guns and we always have a blast playing with them. I’m not recalling exactly where you are in SE PA, but I would consider myself to live in SE PA. I’m midway between Lancaster and Reading. I could possibly give you a hand with resizing those beautiful Industrial Winchester hulls.

If I can be of help, let me know.
Stan
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

That is a beautiful Lindner Roger. I think your idea of a reloading seminar at Mike's would be a fun diversion from shooting Evil Mike's. He got plenty of room in the pavilion. God, please get rid of this crap left by mother nature and fast forward to April.

PS: I promise you 8 ga Junkies a new and improved Big Blast on the BoWhoop with a huge cash purse graciously donated by Steggy. 8)
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

DarylC wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:11 am
PS: I promise you 8 ga Junkies a new and improved Big Blast on the BoWhoop with a huge cash purse graciously donated by Steggy. 8)
😂😂
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Roger I can resize your Winchester hulls if you want to ship them up to me or I can ship you 100 resized new hulls and you can give me your unsized hulls at Hausmann's in exchange. Very nice gun and you will smile ear to ear after shooting the big 8, guaranteed!!! LMK. Check out my 8ga Collectors and Shooters Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/486961669421911
I also have a 8ga bore gauge so I can measure the bore and chokes in your gun, remind me to bring it to Hausmann's.
Craig
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

fox-admin wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:15 am Roger I can resize your Winchester hulls if you want to ship them up to me or I can ship you 100 resized new hulls and you can give me your unsized hulls at Hausmann's in exchange. Very nice gun and you will smile ear to ear after shooting the big 8, guaranteed!!! LMK. Check out my 8ga Collectors and Shooters Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/486961669421911
I also have a 8ga bore gauge so I can measure the bore and chokes in your gun, remind me to bring it to Hausmann's.
Craig
Craig, that is a very nice offer and I just might take you up on it. I was able to get a 100 primed new ones before they sold out. I already belong to the group on Facebook and it was from your notice on the site when they came back in stock that I was able to get them. A few weeks later I was able to get the wads. Since the ones I have are primed, let me know if that makes a difference. I don't have a crimper and I'd rather not cut the full size hulls until I know what I'm doing.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

The sized hull I would send you are exactly like what you purchased, new, primed, and full length.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

fox-admin wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:45 am The sized hull I would send you are exactly like what you purchased, new, primed, and full length.
Craig,

I sent you a PM. Thanks for the awesome offer!

Roger