Unique Order Cards and Letters

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Foxnut

Unique Order Cards and Letters

Post by Foxnut »

I have been rereading some of the Card of the Months that are posted by Researcher. Got me thinking about some unique order cards/letters that I have had on some of my guns. Examples include very specific details on stock measurements, barrel lengths, chokes, no engraving on ordered graded guns, X wood on CE guns, delivery location, notes on who ordered it or “see so & so”, etc. etc. Curious if any of you have something unique on an order card or letter that you have? Would be interesting to see some neat examples. Thanks - Brett
Last edited by Foxnut on Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards - Foxnut
Foxnut

Re: Unique Order Cards & Letters

Post by Foxnut »

I’ll start off with this one with a unique consignee. This SPE was shipped October 29, 1934 to Remington Arms Co, Ilion, NY! I’ve also seen guns that were shipped to Winchester and other arms and ammunition manufacturers!
image.jpg
Last edited by Foxnut on Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards - Foxnut
Foxnut

Re: Unique Order Cards & Letters

Post by Foxnut »

Here’s another “unique” letter as it traces the gun being returned to the factory twice. The first time it was returned it doesn’t specify what work was done. However, the second time the stock was changed from a full pistol grip to a “straight” stock. It would be interesting to see if I ordered a card today for this gun would both cards show up in the research. Imagine if I didn’t have a letter with these details and I only had a copy of the first card. One might assume that the straight stock was not done by Fox/Savage! As an aside I do miss Mr. Callahan and the thought and detail he put into his research efforts. He was a gem as was Roe Clark!
image.jpg
Regards - Foxnut
Don Ay

Re: Unique Order Cards and Letters

Post by Don Ay »

Interesting topic, glad I have one I can include that's rather detailed
Attachments
28095 letter.jpg
Ser.# 28095---Front.jpg
Ser.# 28095--Back.jpg
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Wow! An HE, XE stock, Monte Carlo, and CE engraving. That’s definitely unique.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Don,
That is a cool gun!!! Very specific details on stock dimensions with the sketch (and wanting it returned)!! That fella knew what he wanted!!! Thanks for sharing!
Regards - Foxnut
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I always thought this was rather peculiar. Someone ordered a SBT J grade with a 32” barrel. Then they shipped their 20 ga. to Fox and asked that the dimensions of the J match the dimensions of the existing 20 ga. Seems odd that the 20 ga. was used as a dimensional example for a trap gun since they probably had different uses.
IMG_4449.jpeg
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I have a 16-gauge Fox-Sterlingworth Ejector Deluxe for which both the original production card which show the original choke designation of F & F crossed out and stamped IMP MOD and IMP MOD --
372747 front.jpg
and a Fox-Special card for the change of boring and addition of a beavertail forearm --
372747 Fox-Special front.jpg
Usually we find that they only filed one of these cards, so both surviving is kind of scarce.
Share the knowledge
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

A 16-gauge AE I had at one time. Ordered with heavy dark curly stock and to balance at the trigger guard ...... "Customer has only one arm". frank
Back side of its Record Card
IMG_94AB.jpg
Aan
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

Here are 2 cards for the same SN gun; it appears as though Mr, Wright, as Savage executive at the time, couldn't make up his mind as the gun was being built if he wanted a skeet or trap version. The gun wound up being built in skeet configuration with all specs on the "TRAP" card fulfilled but in Skeet configuration. Kevin
SavageSKtTrapGunCardCopies34792.png
SavageSKtTrapGunCardCopies34792.png (166.07 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I suppose it doesn't matter one whit to most readers but we have a segment that are Fox purists looking for absolute originality in guns and to include proper Fox lingo. In line with that the "Order Card" nomenclature seems to have crept into Foxese. I've read posts on the Parker Forum that refer to "Order Card" and that may be correct for Parker guns. But the terminology used by John Callahan the former Fox Historian was "Record Card" (not Order Card) as in my 26 Callahan Letters and 3 written by the Savage Historians who succeeded Mr. Callahan. Just trying to keep the Fox language from getting diluted. :) frank
Last edited by Silvers on Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Silvers wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:51 am A 16-gauge AE I had at one time. Ordered with heavy dark curly stock and to balance at the trigger guard ...... "Customer has only one arm". frank
Back side of its Record Card
IMG_94AB.jpg
That is a cool order card. Makes since given the shooter probably couldn’t hold/rest the forend in the non-trigger hand and that balance would make it easier to shoot!
Regards - Foxnut
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Sorry for a tangent here but more on what a one arm shotgun shooter can do. One of my friends has regulation trap and skeet fields at his farm and he holds biweekly shoots during the warmer weather months. One high average Trap shooter is a regular; he lost his right arm just above the elbow and his right lower leg, both due to a Bouncing Betty while serving in Nam. He shoots with a 28" Browning Superposed and it's absolutely amazing how he cradles that Browning against his torso, loads one shell, pushes the gun closed, raises it with his left wrist, calls for and almost always gets the bird. Then he'll break the Browning with a snap and help by gravity, and the ejector does the rest. No call for special treatment, no excuses and what an inspiration! I have him on video on my phone and anyone interested can see it at our next vintage event.

Back to the 16-gauge Fox AE I posted. Its Record Card shows shipment down south and that's where I got it while at the Southern. It had fair honest wear and was probably a quail gun; and of note the cutout in its frame was undamaged from the hammer toes, something that a few guys say is a weak point if snapping an AH Fox SxS open ..... as a one armed shooter would probably do. Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting or condoning opening a Fox with a snap open technique but sometimes ya gotta do things. frank
Aan
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Here are two special HE's
Attachments
31019.jpg
30035.jpg
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

fox-admin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:56 pm Here are two special HE's
Those are definitely two special HE’s!!!
Regards - Foxnut