Chasing Late Season Grouse with a Fox!

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Foxnut

Chasing Late Season Grouse with a Fox!

Post by Foxnut »

Had a chance to head North yesterday to chase some late season grouse. Weather was perfect. Low of 30 and a high of 35 with a light breeze and clearing skies as the day went on. Here in Grand Rapids we had a light dusting of snow but a mere 90 minutes North a couple inches were on the ground. Rosey and I worked two of our usual coverts but also tried two new coverts that were better suited for late season with conifer mixed in with Aspen and edged by mature timber stands. We hunted for 3 hours and had two points and three wild flushes. Interesting that all the birds were roosting/feeding in the trees.

I was using my A Grade 16 gauge that is my go to Fox for grouse/woodcock hunting. This gun is a two barrel set with different chokes which makes it great for different scenarios/hunting conditions. I took two shots the whole day and managed to take one grouse. All in all a great day and Rosey had a great day and we both enjoyed the December magic!!
IMG_6704.jpeg
IMG_6702.jpeg
IMG_6700.jpeg
Regards - Foxnut
Jeff S

Re: Chasing Late Season Grouse with a Fox!

Post by Jeff S »

Congratulations Brett. Birds flushing from a tree make a really tough shot. The Fox gets the game.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Looks like a lot of fun. Glad you could get out.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Stan Hoover

Post by Stan Hoover »

Nice pictures Brett,

The few times I have hunted grouse with snow on the ground was tough, like you found, the birds were in the pines. I heard them flush, but no shots. I had made up my mind that I would pass on hunting them with snow on the ground.

We plan to give it a try tomorrow, Shane encountered a good number of grouse while deer hunting in a new location. Still contemplating which gun or guns to carry, I have 2 small bore Fox guns, but both wear 30" barrels, may have to use my tried & true grouse gun which is a 26" 20 gauge Grade 2 NID fully optioned.

Stan
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Jeff S wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:25 am Congratulations Brett. Birds flushing from a tree make a really tough shot. The Fox gets the game.
Reminds me of the Alaskan wilderness fly-in moose hunts my cousin and I used to do. On a river about 90 miles from the nearest town and with the bare minimum of food along with our guns and gear, all due to weight limitations of the Beaver. Along with our rifles we both carried 44 Mag revolvers loaded with 3 shot cartridges and 3 Elmer Keith inspired 240 grainers pushed by a heavy dose of 2400 powder. Those shot cartridges were the nuts for spruce grouse sitting on tree limbs and then added to the larder. On one trip we had to subsist for two extra days due to weather before the last pickup and the sitting grouse made that happen. frank
Aan
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Silvers wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:56 pm
Jeff S wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:25 am Congratulations Brett. Birds flushing from a tree make a really tough shot. The Fox gets the game.
Reminds me of the Alaskan wilderness fly-in moose hunts my cousin and I used to do. On a river about 90 miles from the nearest town and with the bare minimum of food along with our guns and gear, all due to weight limitations of the Beaver. Along with our rifles we both carried 44 Mag revolvers loaded with 3 shot cartridges and 3 Elmer Keith inspired 240 grainers pushed by a heavy dose of 2400 powder. Those shot cartridges were the nuts for spruce grouse sitting on tree limbs and then added to the larder. On one trip we had to subsist for two extra days due to weather before the last pickup and the sitting grouse made that happen. frank
Sounds like an adventure for sure!!
Regards - Foxnut