Rubber kick pads

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jeff S

Rubber kick pads

Post by Jeff S »

Many of you have more experience than I do when comes to working on you guns so I would like to ask a question. Have any of you ever switched your gun from a rubber kick pad to a hard rubber kick plate?

If the gun left the factory with a hard kick plate, there was a slight concave curve to the stock. If a stock is cut, or if a rubber kick pad is installed, there usually is no longer a concave curve to the walnut stock. It’s usually “flat”. Now, if I wanted to install an authentic Fox hard kick plate on that gun, could I do it on that “flat” stock? Could I heat up the kick plate in an oven and gently screw it to the stock? The reason is to reduce the LOP by 3/4-1”. Any thoughts?
eightbore

Re: Rubber kick pads

Post by eightbore »

Hot water bath is probably safer than an oven. Some buttplates change color when heated. It is still the best idea if you can't use horn.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Good idea. Thanks
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

eightbore wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:00 am Hot water bath is probably safer than an oven. Some buttplates change color when heated. It is still the best idea if you can't use horn.
I did a search and noticed that on Nov 19, 2021 Silvers posted info on installing a recoil pad. He also suggested heating the pad in boiling water. 👍