off topic cigars

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
44whiskey

off topic cigars

Post by 44whiskey »

first grandchild due in appx 1 month, seems passing out cigars has become less of a tradition but would like to supply proud pappa with something other than cheap its a girl wrapped KE. thinking somewhere around 10 dollar ea more or less. any suggestions appreciated thanks in advance,fred :wink:
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: off topic cigars

Post by fox-admin »

Ashton Corona or Macanudo Hyde Park-mild smoke, great cigar in your price range-JR Cigar.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

fox-admin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:54 am Ashton Corona or Macanudo Hyde Park-mild smoke, great cigar in your price range-JR Cigar.
thanks much,will give them a look
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

is that the ashton classic corona you are referring to or is there a ashton corona,thanks ,fred
simcgunner

Post by simcgunner »

also From JRs their Cuban copy of Romeo and Juliette or others they are first rate cigars and come in bundles.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

I love H. Upmann cigars; the 1844 Classic Reserve is a really nice cigar. I like larger cigars so I go for something like the Robusto (5"x50 ring) or the Toro (6"x54 ring). The Corona is 5.5"x44 ring if you like a little smaller feel in the hand. Congrats on your first grandchild; grandkids are the best!
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

You can't go wrong with Arturo Fuentes Double Chateau or Perdomo 20th Anniversary, both available in sun-grown versions (my personal favorite). Kevin
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

The Macanudo, Arturo Fuentes and the H. Upmann are all great smokes.The majority of men to which you gift them won't be cigar aficionados, so I wouldn't fret too much over the choice, Fred,........ and congratulations!!!!!!!!

From the great poet Kipling and his wonderful poem The Betrothed:

"And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke."
Kimber06

Post by Kimber06 »

Fred, I have found the Excalibur cigars from Hoyo de Monterrey to be a very nice smoke for not big money. If you want to budget a bit more, the Montecristo White series is hard to beat for a mild smoke.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

Kimber06 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:00 am Fred, I have found the Excalibur cigars from Hoyo de Monterrey to be a very nice smoke for not big money. If you want to budget a bit more, the Montecristo White series is hard to beat for a mild smoke.
thanks kimbero6, that was the name i was trying to remember.Montecristo ,once while dove hunting with my brother in law i ran out of copenhagen and i found a montecristo in his center console of his truck and whacked off about a third of it for chewing tobacco. he later went to town and brought me 2 cans of snuff, when i tried to pay him he refused the money and said if this keeps you from chopping up my cigars i will consider it a bargain :wink:
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Over the course of my much mis-spent life I have dipped snuff (Navy brand, the old fashioned kind that came in a can), chewed tobacco (Red Man and Levi Garrett) and smoked cigars, not all at the same time. Looking back I can say that chopping up a good cigar to use for a chew is the act of a heathen. :lol:
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

guilty as charged Stan , at the time i did not realize the error of my ways. happy Thanksgiving to you and yours my friend fred :wink: ps i just watched chris gard posting on you tube of kiplings the betrothed,excellent.wonderful old cigar box artwork slideshow playing throughout,hope you give it a look :!:
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

........all of a sudden I'm wishing for a nice cigar. Great recommendations. I need to reorder.
tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

thanks for all of the recommendations fellas.ordered MONTECRISTO WHITES 5.5x44. wife saw these came in alum tube and wants to sharpie babys name and birthday as a keepsake whether stogie is smoked or tossed in drawer. i am looking forward to trying one,regards fred :wink:
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Off topic reminds me of a gent I coached quite a bit on his search for a good Fox Ejector smallbore. He asked what he could do in return and I declined, but he insisted and since he usually was at the Northeast SxS I asked him to bring a good cigar. He did show that year and hunted me down with a fancy label cigar in an aluminum tube. Later when I wanted to enjoy the smoke it literally crumbled to dust when I opened the tube. A friend who was there commented that it must have come from an Egyptian pyramid. :roll: I didn't have the heart to tell the cigar man about it. Since then and after extensive tech help I ask gents who insist to buy me a soda or burger when they see me at an event. Right now there are a few with lots of burgers "on the book" as my Babci used to say. Rhetorical questions: how many burgers equal a prime rib dinner? Or to a side of beef? :lol: :lol:

Though I have to add that one friend redeemed his book to a bottle of good Bourbon at the last Northeast SxS. :D frank
Aan