off topic cigars

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
vaturkey

Re: off topic cigars

Post by vaturkey »

Silvers wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:50 am Off topic reminds me of a gent I coached quite a bit on his search for a good Fox Ejector smallbore. He asked what he could do in return and I declined, but he insisted and since he usually was at the Northeast SxS I asked him to bring a good cigar. He did show that year and hunted me down with a fancy label cigar in an aluminum tube. Later when I wanted to enjoy the smoke it literally crumbled to dust when I opened the tube. A friend who was there commented that it must have come from an Egyptian pyramid. :roll: I didn't have the heart to tell the cigar man about it. Since then and after extensive tech help I ask gents who insist to buy me a soda or burger when they see me at an event. Right now there are a few with lots of burgers "on the book" as my Babci used to say. Rhetorical questions: how many burgers equal a prime rib dinner? Or to a side of beef? :lol: :lol:

Though I have to add that one friend redeemed his book to a bottle of good Bourbon at the last Northeast SxS. :D frank
Bourbon lasts a long long time. Always a good choice. It doesn't however keeps the bugs away and that can be a nice side benefit of a good Cigar in the evening.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

vaturkey wrote: Bourbon lasts a long long time. Always a good choice. It doesn't however keeps the bugs away and that can be a nice side benefit of a good Cigar in the evening.
It doesn't keep the bugs away but it can, however, when consumed with sufficiency, cause one to not even notice the bugs. So I have been told.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Well said Stan. A friend told me similarly. :lol: I was ready to reply and then I saw yours. frank
Aan
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

For A.H. Fox people it should be an Eisenlohr's --
Eisenlohrs Cinco Cigars.jpg
They may be a bit stale by now!!
Share the knowledge
Randy G Roberts

Post by Randy G Roberts »

My personal favorite is the Oliva Serie V, natural or Maduro. Comes in a plethora of sizes.
Randy G Roberts
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

Researcher wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:39 pm For A.H. Fox people it should be an Eisenlohr's --

Eisenlohrs Cinco Cigars.jpg

They may be a bit stale by now!!
Dave, is that due to Philly address or is there another connection :?: regards fred
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The cigar business was Otto Eisenlohr & Bros.
35 14.jpg
Louis H. Eisenlohr, well to do brother was one of the early investors in the A.H. Fox Gun Co.
35 00 Louis H Eisenlohr Photo 1923.jpg
and had some well known A.H. Fox guns. Among them serial number 35 --
35 09.png
See The Double Gun Journal, Volume Twelve, Issue 1, page 92.

Marshfellow is our Eisenlohr Bros. expert.
Share the knowledge
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

again, thanks for sharing the knowledge Dave :wink:
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Great and entertertaining thread.

SRH
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

Here is a leg of mutton case owned by Louis, which contained DE 17090 and 2 sets of barrels, with the consignor listed as A.H.Fox on the factory card.

So was this Ansley’s gun or was he just ordering it for Louis?

IMG_2559.jpeg
IMG_2560.jpeg
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

DE 17090 card.jpg
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

FWIW, smoked an Upmann "big bore" (55 ring size) shorty while waiting to shoot the local wobble trap (a tough one!). Came away with 21/25 x 2 with a brand new to me gun. Next time I'll blow a full size 6 1/2-incher! Kevin
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

H. Upmann is a really good smoke.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

porch pirates videoed on my street yesterday. one neighbor saw and made eye contact with perp who continued to pick up package across street. his security cam captured all. cops called, they stated it was widespread and rampant. hope my cigars weren't taken. delivery shows tomorrow delivery, things are getting crazy regards,fred :!:
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

cigars arrived this morning as scheduled,glad they were not delivered sat and taken by porch pirates. DIL will be admitted wed and scheduled for c section early thurs morning. hope all goes well and can share a smoke with proud papa later that day.thanks for all the suggestions fellas.cheers fred :wink: