Epic Woodcock opener!

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
ROMAC

Epic Woodcock opener!

Post by ROMAC »

I took Reynard (The name I gave my new custom 16 gauge) on his inaugural Woodcock hunt for today's opener in New Jersey.

It performed flawlessly and I scored my first double ever on woodcock today. Three of us were able to limit out in a little over 4 hours with all of us using 16 gauge Foxes. We probably had about 30+ flushes. My friend's Brittanies, Faith and Ella, had a lot of heart on a day that turned pretty warm by noon time. The birds were crafty, the foliage was thick and the ticks were a worry but we had a great time.

We finished the day with a few sips of a cold one.

It was the perfect bookend to a week that started with me arrowing a nice 9 point last Saturday, then switching priorities to hit the first flight birds arriving in the area I hunt this Saturday.

Last edited by ROMAC on Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
simcgunner

Re: Epic Woodcock opener!

Post by simcgunner »

Great Job.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

As always, you post great pictures. I’m jealous of your woodcock hunt. Our season closed 2 weeks ago (too early). Nice buck!
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Well Dang Roger. That turned out well for sure. I think its going to be a decent Woodcock year or should I say it appears it is. The folks I know that are finding them are hunting in the thickest stuff one can imagine. Some birds have to be approached on hands and knees to get them to flush and in that case you'd better have a shooter and a flusher, because the flusher isn't going to be a shooter. Good year to invest in some nice chaps and some good gloves to protect one's body. I remember those deer hunting days. Once the farm I hunted for 14 years got sold I shifted my focus to being a full time bird chaser.
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

What a great way to keep yourself busy Roger. Our birds have not arrived here on the Eastern Shore. Nice buck and beautiful gun.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

DarylC wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:14 am What a great way to keep yourself busy Roger. Our birds have not arrived here on the Eastern Shore. Nice buck and beautiful gun.
Daryl they have moved into the areas around the Potomac in decent numbers I've been told. However, the first split ends this Friday so you will most likely have to have your fun in the second split.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

This weekend is full of honey-do list stuff.

Rifle season opens this Saturday after Thanksgiving in PA and I'll be out with my son who still has a buck tag. I hunt in a shotgun zone so I'll be looking for a fat doe with my Savage 1899 in 38-55. The straight walled case law has opened up a lot of options for me now. I've passed on the .350 Legend and .450 Bushmaster craze and dug in the back of my safe for the 1899. I also have one in .375 Winchester and a Ruger #1 in 45-70 so I'm set for life to use them with ammo that at the time probably cost me around $18.00 a box LOL!

I'll be back after woodcock after deer season.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Wow!! An 1899 in .38-55!! Way cool. We need pictures!
Share the knowledge
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I wish I could say it was a pristine example with a period peep sight but it is what it is. I found it with the scope and extra holes in the receiver.

Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

I’d say you and Reynard had a successful commemorative Timber doodle hunt! Great pics! Nice buck as well. Nicely done Roger.
Regards - Foxnut