Pre-Fox?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
floridafox

Pre-Fox?

Post by floridafox »

I acquired this gun as part of a larger sale without any knowledge of Fox, but a bit of curiosity about the gun. I found this great site today and suspect that this is "Pre-Fox" model. In between the barrels is marked "PHILADELPHIA ARMS CO." Three spots are marked "972". I've attempted some attachments with photos. Any insight would be appreciated!
Attachments
fox.jpg
fox 4.jpg
fox 3.jpg
fox 2.jpg
barrel.jpg
floridafox

Re: Pre-Fox?

Post by floridafox »

more photos
Attachments
stock.jpg
sn3.jpg
sn2.jpg
sn1.jpg
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

"Pre-Fox" is a misnomer. The Fox Gun Co. Balto., MD., U.S.A. and Philadelphia Arms Co. were both Ansley H. Fox companies. "Pre-A.H. Fox Gun Co." would be more correct.

There is a brief history of Philadelphia Arms Co on our home page --

https://www.foxcollectors.com/pre-fox-g ... lphia-arms

Your gun is an A-Grade. From a 1905 magazine ad --
Ad for A-Grade, American Field, April 22, 1905.jpg
From the 1905 Philadelphia Arms Co. catalog --
1905 Catalogue Grade A.jpeg
What length are the barrels of your Philadelphia Arms Fox.
Share the knowledge
floridafox

Post by floridafox »

Thank you for the info and the dated docs. Really cool that those were able to be found and scanned. The barrels on my Fox are 28".
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

My article on Philadelphia Arms Co. was published in The Double Gun Journal, Volume Thirteen, Issue 4, Winter 2002.

Since my article was written, we have found much more information about the Philadelphia Arms Co. receivership and eventual sale.
Sheriff's Sale Tuesday July 3, 1906.jpg
Sheriff's Sale Tuesday July 3, 1906.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 369 times
At the July 1906 Sheriff's Sale the plant was purchased by Philadelphia lawyer William McGeorge Jr. and his wife. In October 1906 the McGeorges sold the plant to Ansley H. Fox --
Page 4.jpg
and by the end of 1906, Ansley moved his new company, the A.H. Fox Gun Co., into the factory at North 18th Street & Windrim Avenue.
1907 Postcard front.jpg
In November 1906 the patents originally assigned to Philadelphia Arms Co. were transferred to Ansley H. Fox --
Transfer of Philadelphia Arms Co. Patents No. 714,688; 767,557 and 767,621.jpg
and eventually, for some reason, we see those dates stamped on A.H. Fox Gun Co. guns --
5 date Patent Stamp Philadelphia Arms Co. patent dates underlined.jpg
Share the knowledge