SW on GB

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Maggiemollie

SW on GB

Post by Maggiemollie »

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1012893160

Not interested in buying but it's advertised as a Philly gun, has Philly stamped barrels, but I've never seen receiver engraving like that. Curious to know.
Researcher

Re: SW on GB

Post by Researcher »

That is pretty odd! The 128xxx serial number range is where we see the transition from 12-gauge Philadelphia Sterlingworths to Utica FOX STERLINGWORTs. Also, a small nest of Utica guns, mostly 32-inch, in the 122xxx range.

I've recorded a few 12-gauge FOX STERLINGWORTHs with that large lettering on the sides of the frames in the 128xxx and low 129xxx range. The others I've recorded are marked MADE BY SAVAGE ARMS CORP. UTICA,N.Y.U.S.A. on the left barrel.
128544 02.jpg
The gun in question doesn't have the FOX PROOF on the barrel flat and does have a strange proof mark to the left of the serial number on the barrel flat. That is where we often see the SP in an oval Savage Proof mark.
128286 03a yellow arrow to proof mark.jpg
I can't quite make it out but it looks like SA? in the oval.
Share the knowledge
Maggiemollie

Post by Maggiemollie »

Thank you. I have no info. I've just never seen anything like this and I've seen far less than here.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I chalk this up as a Transition SW, assembled shortly after the A H Fox GC sale and shipment of Phila parts to Utica. Let's remember that was right at the start of the Great Depression and Savage/Utica was facing a massive drop-off in sales and wanted to get guns out the door for return on that capital investment. Over the years I've seen a number of Transition era Sterlies with engraved Fox Sterlingworth frame panels and methinks they were done up using frames that were partially machined in Phila and completed in Utica whilst Savage was waiting for the more familiar block letter roll stamp. That "proof mark" is a mystery to me and perhaps it’s not a Proof Mark at all. Assembly mark? All told I don't attribute any premium nor deduct in value to these Sterlies with engraved name versus stamped; they are what they are. The cited gun appears to be a well used early Utica Sterly, not a Phila gun. frank
Aan
Maggiemollie

Post by Maggiemollie »

Thanks. I have no need for another F/F SW. I was just wondering the difference because I had never seen one like this.