20 bore Bernardelli Hammer Gun

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Silvers

20 bore Bernardelli Hammer Gun

Post by Silvers »

I'm still concentrating on grouse in the mountains and despite plans otherwise I had to hunt solo today. A few weeks ago I found a 1967 V. Bernardelli "Brescia" model 20 bore hammer gun that was apparenly unfired since new. I hadn't a chance to try it for clays beforehand, and this was, I believe, her first shot since leaving the factory over 55 years ago. Choked IC and I-Mod per my Baker bore mike (barrels are stamped IC & Mod), and a Federal 7-1/2 shot Field load did the trick.

Being alone I stayed close to the road and hunted wintergreen berry patches in a favorite cover; second pic shows berries from the bird's crop on top of a gray colored rock.

Fourth pic is the "Bubble Up" for my friend Stan ..... source of our mixing water for spirits while imbibing during cabin evenings for more than 40 years now. frank
IMG_1351.jpg
IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1354.jpg
IMG_1355.jpg
Last edited by Silvers on Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aan
Jeff S

Re: 20 bore Bernardelli Hammer Gun

Post by Jeff S »

Beautiful pictures and congratulations! Flushing and connecting on a grouse is especially difficult without the benefit of a pointing dog. Well done!

In my world, when I saw an “incomplete” band on the tail feathers, I considered the bird a hen. Is that correct or just rural legend?
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Regarding a broken tail band, see the third paragraph here.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Education/Wildli ... e%20hr.pdf
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Very interesting article, especially the impact of deer population on grouse population. Thanks for sharing.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Great pictures Frank, and congratulations on the first blood with the "Bernie". I shoot a 12 ga. hammergun built in 1973 by Bernardelli, even though it is branded a San Georgio. I sure wish it was a 20, like yours, but it's sure nice to be able to have a hammergun for S X S HG events that you can shoot promo shells in without concern.

Love seeing the pics of the "Bubble-Up" from time to time. It's still as pretty as it was the first time I saw a pic of it. Thanks, my friend.