20g Barrel Compatibility

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
firemanstevec34

20g Barrel Compatibility

Post by firemanstevec34 »

Will Utica Sterlingworth 20g barrels fit a Philadelphia 20g receiver with some fitting? Thanks
Stan Hillis

Re: 20g Barrel Compatibility

Post by Stan Hillis »

That is a question that no one on here could answer, without having the gun and barrels in hand to take precise measurements. The fact that the barrels are Utica and the action is Philly does not automatically prevent it from being able to work. The short answer is that they likely COULD be fitted, but at what cost? If metal only needs to be removed for the fit to work it's one thing. But, if metal is "lacking" in critical areas you are automatically into another whole realm of cost.

Having gone down this road myself I would offer one cautionary word ........ be very, very careful who you choose to do the work. Every double gunsmith who hangs out a shingle cannot fit barrels properly. Finding one who can do it properly is a hard job. Vet their past work in barrel fitting as extensively as you can.
Foxnut

Re: 20g Barrel Compatibility

Post by Foxnut »

Stan Hillis wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:52 am That is a question that no one on here could answer, without having the gun and barrels in hand to take precise measurements. The fact that the barrels are Utica and the action is Philly does not automatically prevent it from being able to work. The short answer is that they likely COULD be fitted, but at what cost? If metal only needs to be removed for the fit to work it's one thing. But, if metal is "lacking" in critical areas you are automatically into another whole realm of cost.

Having gone down this road myself I would offer one cautionary word ........ be very, very careful who you choose to do the work. Every double gunsmith who hangs out a shingle cannot fit barrels properly. Finding one who can do it properly is a hard job. Vet their past work in barrel fitting as extensively as you can.
Stan’s advice is spot on! I’ve also been down this road and had success and failure. Measure the width of the frame and make sure you have barrels that are at least that wide. You don’t want to get a set of barrels fitted only to find they are narrower at the breech than the frame. They’ll look wonky!
Regards - Foxnut