Vintage Gun Cup

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
vaturkey

Re: Vintage Gun Cup

Post by vaturkey »

I was there all 3 days. Planned on Shooting the 5 stand, but realized the Skeet and Upland was not the gun for that course. A group of members to include a number of well known Fox shooters shot the 5 stand with 8 gauges and some did amazingly well. Spent the rest of the time helping Kevin in the vendor tent. Thought the event went pretty well overall. Needs some tweaking of portipottys, and yes, some of the 5 stand targets were ungodly hard to see. Had many shooters complain that you have to see them to shoot them. One proclaimed that shooting should not be a vision test.

Few pictures attached.
Attachments
20230909_141205.jpg
20230908_095323.jpg
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

More, and this is a Britsh made 4 gauge that Morphy will have in their Dec auction. I know the barrels 40 inches long. I believe it weighed 18 pounds. No choke in the barrels.
Attachments
20230909_102334.jpg
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

More.
Attachments
20230909_094407.jpg
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Yes, this was a very nice event. The vendor tent was great, the food was good (especially meals prepared by Randa in the club house) and the courses were nice. They had 3 clays courses consisting of 8 stations each, the long bird shoot, and a 5 stand range on steroids.

It should be noted that Daryl Corona devoted his entire weekend to running the newly created Fox/International challenge. That was quite a challenging, and successful event. Way to go Daryl for keeping the Fox name in the headlines.

Smitty broke 9 out of 10 at the long bird shoot. Wow!
IMG_2942.jpeg
Craig broke 8. The trap was 70 yards from the shooting stand.
IMG_2939.jpeg
IMG_2945.jpeg
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

A few more pictures.

Shooting Director Daryl
IMG_2961.jpeg
Craig takes careful aim at a rabbit.
IMG_2951.jpeg
Smitty breaking more clays.
IMG_2954.jpeg
Chrisss31

Post by Chrisss31 »

Nice post guys. It's good to see faces to go with the names we only know from the forum.
SmithShady

Post by SmithShady »

Thanks for posting all of the pics Tom and Steggy! Wanted to post the highlight of my weekend, the gun that Frank mentioned in his post above, my new DE Grade Fox! I'll let you check the pictures for the "unusual" part about this gun before giving it away. It only took 15 years, but I finally have one! :D She was well loved and has some honest wear, and while it may be tempting to some to "clean her up", they are only original once and I'm going to enjoy this one just the way it is. She's a 12ga with 30" tubes and choked Mod and Full.

M.
Attachments
DE7.jpg
DE6.jpg
DE5.jpg
DE4.jpg
DE3.jpg
DE2.jpg
DE1.jpg
"Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Smitty was kind enough to let me shoot it. It’s a dandy!
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

“Right as rain”. Happy for you Smitty. frank.
Aan
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Mike,

It looks like that rear pin (both sides) have a slot as would be used on a threaded screw. Like DE12 SN 25989 pictured below.

Bill
IMG_0405-1.jpg
foxd1.jpg
foxd2.jpg
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Bill, thanks for posting those pictures. It seems like we had this same discussion a few years ago.
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Jeff S wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:00 am Bill, thanks for posting those pictures. It seems like we had this same discussion a few years ago.
We sure did Jeff. I did a quick Search but didn't find it.

I'm not good at finding things. I lost my wedding band on Labor Day weekend :( . But it was found and returned. :D I might write a note or two about that. A wonderful story.

Bill
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

jolly bill wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:27 am Mike,

It looks like that rear pin (both sides) have a slot as would be used on a threaded screw. Like DE12 SN 25989 pictured below.

Bill
Bill, thanks for posting those pics. Kind of a "shoulder screw" (not a flat head/countersink concept) and it looks like the shoulder is somewhat larger diameter than the typical Fox sear pin and the screw end is threaded into the boss in the frame, between the sears. Accordingly the sears have a larger diameter thru hole. Nice setup. frank
Aan
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Silvers wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:40 am
jolly bill wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:27 am Mike,

Bill
Bill, thanks for posting those pics. Kind of a "shoulder screw" (not a flat head/countersink concept) and it looks like the shoulder is somewhat larger diameter than the typical Fox sear pin and the screw end is threaded into the boss in the frame, between the sears. Accordingly the sears have a larger diameter thru hole. Nice setup. frank
Years ago at the January Las Vegas gun show, I looked at another late style DE12 that had that same threaded screw feature for the sear pin. I think I may have that SN somewhere. Too bad I'm good at losing things.

And Mike's new to him lovely DE12 has that same feature. Kinda nice.

And hopefully, Mike will let us know how well he shoots it. And as many of us know, he shoots all of his guns well.

Bill
SmithShady

Post by SmithShady »

Bill,

Thanks so much for posting those pictures! The screws were a topic of conversation at the show, and Kevin and I were discussing them while Tom Kidd was in the booth, and he mentioned your DE having the same setup. I know Frank and I both were curious about what they looked like removed, so I appreciate you having those pics available. It is interesting that it's a larger diameter than the typical pin, we thought it might taper down inside closer to the actual pin diameter, but it looks like that isn't the case. Ours seem to be a few thousand guns apart with serial number 234xx vs. 259xx. Nice to run across a DE, even nicer to have one that's a good conversation starter! :D

Oh, and she shoots just fine. Ejectors are perfectly in time, a little bit of a light front trigger, but good dimensions for me and a gun that will not be a closet queen. I see myself shooting this one quite often! Shot the 12ga course and the Main Event at the Vintager's with her.

M.
"Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson