Dreaming of Hunting with my new Fox

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Woody

Re: Dreaming of Hunting with my new Fox

Post by Woody »

Very nice bear!!!! My son and I both shot nice bears. It was a good trip. He used a .308 and I used a 30/06. His did cover a little ground. Shoulder shot but no blood. Maybe covered 100 yards.

Our guide said the same thing about slug guns He said he loves seeing guys use slug guns. MKes big holes that leak!!!! I brought my 45/70 as a second gun but next trip may use the 870. I did Contemplate bringing it this year.

We same a lot of grouse and woodcock driving the roads. One lane way we came out every night had woodcock on it.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Congrats to you and your son!

A few in my group mentioned seeing grouse but not me. I saw 3 coyotes, and a bunch of racoons. The song dogs were the biggest I've ever seen.

We were told the area goes crazy opening week of "Partridge" season. I was told that they see a lot of road hunters which made me a little sad.

All in all it was a great trip.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Roger, the potatoes reminded me that there was a gentleman from Maine who grows several thousand acres of potatoes, with his son AIR. I posted a few pics of some very high grade Foxes for him. One of those Fox guns he said was found in a wall of an old house. I cannot remember his screen name or his real name. He and I corresponded a few times and he was also a dedicated big game hunter. Do you, or does anyone else here, remember him?

Thanks for the pics. They're great.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

ROMAC wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:41 am I know this thread veered way off topic but I thought I'd give it a conclusion.

My wife's favorite part of the trip was me bringing her back a 50 lb. sack of taters!

We also had the obligatory lobster feast the last night. 4 - 3.5 +/- pounders came to about $230

Flashback for me. I was hunting around Belfast when Sophie was a 10 month old pup for a few days and then ventured north a few hours and stayed in very very tiny cabin a small town. It was opening weekend of moose season and a local had just shot a small bull and I wandered over while the dogs were in the cabin. I never knew how large even a smaller moose was. Flat out amazing. Anyway, there was only one place to eat in town and it was a combination bar/restaurant. Course I walked in looked around and saw the bar and walked over and plopped down on a bar stool. Within a few minutes the lady bartender wandered over and got my drink order. I then asked if they had lobster on the menu. She looked me up and down and said not normally. I said shame and drank my drink and ordered a Reubun (bar food). Well, it came with the best tasting potato chips. I commented these a fantastic and the fellow next to me said he raised potatoes on his farm and sold them to a company and that most likely those chips were from potatoes grown on his farm. He and his wife asked me what I was doing there and I said bird hunting and he asked me where I was hunting and I told him public land. He then drew me a map on a bar napkin of his place and said I was free to hunt it, which I did the following morning. (killed 2 grouse and a limit of Woodcock). Well, the story gets even better.

While I was talking to him, the lady bartender asked me how long I'd be there hunting and I said 2 more days. She then said if you promise me you will be here Friday night I'll get two lobster and steam them up for you at the bar that night. Well, I said yes I'd be certain to be there. No idea where she got them because I was way inland, but sure enough I rolled in Friday evening and she dropped them in the boiling water as I had drinks at the bar. Interesting enough the potato farmer and his wife were there (I think they were there a lot) and I told him I had hunted his property and did well.

Note: The lady bartender was also a school bus driver for the County. She said after she dropped the students off she would shoot grouse from the bus using a single shot shotgun and take them home. She said many locals asked her if the bird population was good because she was on the backroads all the time picking up kids and knew where all the grouse were in that area. She also knew when populations were good or bad. Anyway, interesting story, that flashed back after reading yours about potatoes and Lobster in the great state of Maine.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

good story Tom,i can picture a lady bus driver here with a shotgun on board would make headlines.but not in a good way. thanks for sharing :roll:
Woody

Post by Woody »

ROMAC wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:48 am Congrats to you and your son!

A few in my group mentioned seeing grouse but not me. I saw 3 coyotes, and a bunch of racoons. The song dogs were the biggest I've ever seen.

We were told the area goes crazy opening week of "Partridge" season. I was told that they see a lot of road hunters which made me a little sad.

All in all it was a great trip.

I was in a gun shop while I was up there. A guy came into pick up a takedown .22 he ordered. I heard him say it was his new grouse gun. Thought it would be better than using the .410 he had been using. Road hunting.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Roger, great thread on the bear hunt and pics. That slug did a number on that bear for sure!
Regards - Foxnut