Maybe a bit OT .......... you decide

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Stan Hillis

Maybe a bit OT .......... you decide

Post by Stan Hillis »

I decided to post this in response to Frank's excellent tutorial/article in the latest newsletter on how to repair a broken buttplate. I had recently completed a similar project, though not on a Fox gun, wherein I used the exact same technique to repair an unobtainable handle on the cowl of a Tohatsu 40 hp two-stroke motor. After three years searching I had obtained a really good condition motor of this make and size for a specific usage. A screw had been overtightened on the cowl handle and had caused a corner to break off. Knowing how hard it would be to find one for a discontinued motor I decided to repair it.

I used the exact same technique that Frank used, making a dam of blue painter's tape for the epoxy. I decided to use J-B Weld in this application, but I've no doubt other epoxies might have worked just as well. I'm posting this not to boast about anything, but in support of Frank's method that he explained so very well in his article. This is stuff that doesn't require great machining abilities ....... just patience and a "careful eye".

The plastic handle with the broken corner:

The repaired and reshaped handle with a coat of primer on it:

Step out and give this technique a try. Hats off to Frank for writing it up so well, and taking the initiative.
Silvers

Re: Maybe a bit OT .......... you decide

Post by Silvers »

Nice work Stan. I'm happy to see you expand the concept beyond hard rubber buttplates. The repaired handle looks great! Thanks for a tip of the hat but it wasn't necessary. :)
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Nice job Stan!
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

Most interesting Stan - years ago one of shooting friends who was a dental technician in the Navy made from scratch a DHBP for an 8 gauge Parker, using a large (3 frame?) original BP expanded cavity in a sand mold. Not only did it fit amazingly well but the color was that near-perfect 125-yr. old gutta percha color mix of mustard yellow and violet. The fine sand gave an amazing impression transfer and the screw holes also came out near perfect. Kevin