Rock Mountain 2023

AHFCA lists all upcoming events on this Forum. Be sure to check back frequently to see what exciting shooting events, displays, and meeting are scheduled.
Maggiemollie

Re: Rock Mountain 2023

Post by Maggiemollie »

I'm also trying to recruit a few SxS shooters from my local skeet club to attend. They aren't collectors but rather folks who just like to shoot a SxS.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Carver wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:33 pm Frank, I can only speak for mysel living on the other side of the Delaware River from Philadelphia, which is three hours away. I'm familiar with the area the shoot is held having hunted deer just north of Meshoppen for over ten years.

I know other members make a longer drive to attend, but I still work and only have so many vacation days available to ration for my various pursuits. I'd have to travel there for the day (6hrs round trip) as my wife doesn't share my passion for vintage shotguns or the shooting sports, The Meshoppen/Tunkhannock area, while beautiful, doesn't exactly have many offerings, activities or lodging, to make a longer trip more attractive for the both of us

This isn't to say that I won't make the trip someday. While my love of Fox guns hasn't translated into an ability to shoot them well, i'd like to meet the guys I have learned so much from, yourself very much included.

Tom
Actually, there is plenty of lodging in our area. Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, Shadowbrook Resort, Skyline Hotel plus B&Bs and AirB&Bs.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

jolly bill wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:06 pm Just a few words from my perspective.

I really look forward to going to Ernie's in June and Mike's in July. I go primarily for the socialization. I just like joining like minded folks and join in the conversation, a soft drink or a beer or two and watch you guys smoking those nickel cigars. I guess they aren't a nickel anymore tho.

If I shoot, I prefer to leave the scorecard to those that are more competitive. I don't shoot that good but it does feel good to hit some of the tough ones.

And thank God for those Golden BB's. (Wink, wink, Frank.) I wish I could pack more of them in my 1/2 ounce loads.

I think the cost may be a factor for some. It's not like it was a couple years ago when a box of reloads cost you about $3.00.

Our fine hosts, Ernie and Mike, I'm sure would like to see more shooters on their courses too.

Budget minded shooters I'm sure are feeling the cost of things these days: gas, food, lodging, ammo, etc. Amazing that Jeff makes the trip from Michigan twice a year, does a lot of shooting and gladly shares what he has in his cooler. Many thanks Jeff.

Come on you guys, share your thoughts.

Just another comment. My local Sporting Clays course is on level ground and it's a little over a mile to walk the course start to finish. I don't use a cart and on hot days, those last few targets are definitely tougher. I'm 86 and can keep up with most of the younger guys, most of the time. Different story in the winter tho at our course. Much more pleasant temperature wise unless we're shooting in one of those occasional snow squalls off Lake Ontario. The club is about 3 miles from the lake.

Considering the hills at Ernie's and Mike's, it's gotta be a lot tougher without a cart.

Just my thoughts and thanks Frank for your concern.

Bill
Bill, we have hills here?? Slight incline from 3 to 4 and 13 to 14, but they're surely not hills!! :lol: We're pretty flat here on the cart paths.