Dove field delight - DHE Parker

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Stan Hillis

Dove field delight - DHE Parker

Post by Stan Hillis »

A thread in another forum here got me to thinking I had never shared any pics of this gun in this forum, so here goes.

My only Parker at this time is a 1929 no. 1 frame DHE Parker two-gauge set ...... 32" barrels in 16 ga. with .030" and .034" chokes R & L ........and 32" barrels in 20 ga. choked .025" in each side. Weighs 7/6 with the 16s in place, and 7/4 with the 20s. Original wood, and stocked nearly perfect for what I use it to do. This pic was early last season with the 20s at work.

Jeff S

Re: Dove field delight - DHE Parker

Post by Jeff S »

Good grief those barrels look long! Your knife makes a convenient gun holder. Beautiful gun and nice shooting.
Last edited by Jeff S on Thu May 18, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Stan i like the Parker and picture! Bobby
Jimmy Goodtime

Post by Jimmy Goodtime »

Wonderful gun! Stan, I am always impressed with your bag of doves. Some of the toughest wing shooting in my experience can be doves. You certainly have a knack for knocking them down!
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Stan….that is a special gun for sure. To have a two gauge set and both barrels at 32” is about heaven!!!
Regards - Foxnut
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Thanks, guys. I knew some of you would like those long tubes. I forgot to mention that the 16 ga. tubes are Titanic and the 20s are Vulcan, both properly numbered to the action.

Jimmy, there was a lull in the shooting that day, when I snapped the pic, and I was thinking it was over. However, fate was kind and a few more flights came in allowing me to complete my 15 bird limit.

The Parker is a very special gun and has been wonderfully maintained over it's life. But, when it came to reside here it's triggers were atrocious. As I recall they broke at something like 8+ and 9+ lbs. The late Jim Kelly was the only gunsmith that I could drive to, that I trusted to work on this gun. He sorted it out for me only a few months before passing over. They're a delight now, at 3 1/2 and 4 lbs.

I'm funny about the gauge guns I use for doves. While most of my hunting buddies use a 12 for almost everything, with 1 1/8 oz. of shot on doves, I prefer to start out small and work my way up. Early season finds me using my three double .410s. As the doves "wise up" to the shooting and get more mature I will move up to a 28 or 20, with 7/8 oz. shot. Then, late season, when those big ol' purple necked migratory doves start hitting the fields I'll go to the 16s with 1 oz. As far as using a 12 for doves, I will do so with 1 oz., occasionally in the late season, but readily admit I don't enjoy them nearly as much as the smaller bores, and normally use the bigger 12s for ducks.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Stan, you need a good Parker ten for the last day of the season.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

Stan ,wonderful 2 ga set, i am proud for you. thanks for pics and post. take care my friend, Fred :wink: PS when you and i discussed fore end repair on Fox this Parker was away for trigger work and I said it sounded like a wonderful double. Im glad to see pictures and am truly impressed, she is a treasure