My Grandfathers Shotgun

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Greyfox

My Grandfathers Shotgun

Post by Greyfox »

At 14 years old, back in the mid 60’s, my shotgunning/hunting experience began with a beat up H&R 20ga Topper. Within a year, my Aunt gave me my grandfathers Austrian made 16ga double barrel hammer gun. As it remains today, it was in excellent condition, and at the time was declared by a local gun smith safe to shoot(steel barrels/2 9/16” chambers). This shotgun was my constant companion for the next several years with great success hunting upland game, waterfowl, rabbits, and squirrels. The markings, along with proof marks(NP), are FUR-KUCEL, and what appears to be serial# 274(on the barrel flats. Apparently, it was produced in Ferlach, Austria. It is original/unrestored, has superb engraving, and beautifully made(tight), weighs 6 1/4 pounds, choked M/F with 28” barrels, 1.5x 2 3.4” drops, and 14” LOP. My grandfather had passed many years before I was born, but I was told that he brought this shotgun with him when he immigrated from Italy in the early 1900’s. Any insights or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
33485723-ECCE-4803-A633-06EC58E905A1.jpeg
C38BD2DF-DFEA-4EE0-B4CF-26AC0E1B176A.jpeg
[attachment=1]
“How kind it is that most of us will never know when we have fired our last shot.”
— Nash Buckingham
Fin2Feather

Re: My Grandfathers Shotgun

Post by Fin2Feather »

I don't have any insight for you, but what a wonderful family treasure! If you don't find what you're looking for here you might try posting on doublegunshop.com.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Great story, that’s a nice heirloom. You might want to check the “Double gun forum”. There are a couple of guys on that forum that are amazing resources regarding European shotguns.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

What a great family heirloom!!
Share the knowledge
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

It is a nice gun. Of good quality.
,Brian Dudley