Barrel Wiggle

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
mvh

Barrel Wiggle

Post by mvh »

I just got a 1933 sterlingworth over the weekend and the barrels have the very slightest of wiggle when the forearm is removed. Not sure it matters, but gun is tight with forend on. I can see light between a very small gap between the water table and barrels. I can not see any gaps between the barrel and breach so I'm thinking these are off face a very small amount (or maybe at all??). Lost my feeler gauges so need to buy some to see if any will go between barrel/breach. Assuming I can only get a 0.001 or 0.002 feeler gauge between the barrel/breach, would that be something that needs to be corrected immediately? I understand it will only get worse, but can't imagine if it's safe to shoot that a 100-200 shots over a year it would make it much if any worse.

If the actual measurement were to be just slightly more than my assumption, I would fix it now. I saw larry potterfield on Midway USA use a shim cut from a ultra thin steel sheet and loctite 680. Anyone ever use this method to fix and have it last?

If I couldn't get any feeler gauges to go, could the barrels have the slightest of movement if the rotary bolt is locking all the way? The lever is at 6 o'clock. From what I've read 6 o'clock lever should still be okay for a little while. Thanks for any advice.
mvh

Re: Barrel Wiggle

Post by mvh »

I put a piece of scotch tape on the barrel lug and it out took all wiggle with fore end off. Two pieces of tape and it would not close. I think the tape is about .002" thick. Pretty crude, but how much of a concern is there using that as an estimate?
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

The barrels being off face by .002" - .003" is a concern, but can be dealt with in a couple ways. Of course, the best way is to have a qualified gunsmith correctly put the gun back on face, which won't be inexpensive, and finding one who knows how best to do it on a Fox is another issue. If, however, you really won't use it more than a couple hundred rounds a year a shim of the correct thickness will put it back on face for occasional use. You should NOT shoot it as is. It will loosen more, quickly. I have a double of modern manufacture that cannot be put back on face by welding up and re-fitting the hook. I use a .003" shim of aluminum HVAC tape on the hook. It will last about 200 rounds, or openings cycles of the gun, and can be quickly and easily replaced when worn. It has adhesive on one side with a peel off backing. Mine is .003", but you should check any you might get for thickness. If that thickness works okay, you could Loctite in a steel shim of the same thickness you mentioned earlier.
mvh

Post by mvh »

Thanks Stan. I think I found your posts to another forum concerning your gun last night after posting this. Good to hear how long the tape lasts.

Any one know any gunsmiths that could do this kind of work?
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

You dont shoot the gun with the forend off.

In many cases, the forend is the final piece of the puzzle to a tight, on-face gun. If the gun is tight with the forend on, that is all that matters.
,Brian Dudley