Ready for the Trap Line once again!

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Foxnut

Re: Ready for the Trap one once again!

Post by Foxnut »

eightbore wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:22 pm Un-Gosh Darn believable that this could be accomplished. Today at Baltimore, I saw and examined another single barrel of the same make, not a common sight.
By any chance did you get the serial # and grade of the gun at Baltimore show? I have several and keep track of any that I run across. Thanks Eightbore!
Regards - Foxnut
eightbore

Re: Ready for the Trap Line once again!

Post by eightbore »

Sorry, no info. I made the whole show without buying anything, although I saw many that interested me. I really liked the 32" Sterly ejector gun.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

jolly bill wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:27 pm Hey Brett,

Good for you to take the time, effort and expense getting that old girl back on the streets.

Pretty clever how you got it done. May be incentive for someone else with that problem.

You did good and sincere thanks for taking some more time to share with us.

Bill
Jolly Bill,
I am not mechanically inclined but was amazed that w/modern technology that the replication of the missing floor plate could be done. It was great to see it all come together. However, it did show me that parts can be reproduced, and even aging and patina can be reproduced quite effectively. A reminder for us all on both the opportunity it provides us but also how it might be very easy to dupe an unsuspecting individual. This gun and its revival is now well documented but what about the ones that are “dolled” up in some fashion but represented as “factory original”. Brett
Regards - Foxnut
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Foxnut wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:27 pm
jolly bill wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:27 pm Hey Brett,

Good for you to take the time, effort and expense getting that old girl back on the streets.

Pretty clever how you got it done. May be incentive for someone else with that problem.

You did good and sincere thanks for taking some more time to share with us.

Bill
Jolly Bill,
I am not mechanically inclined but was amazed that w/modern technology that the replication of the missing floor plate could be done. It was great to see it all come together. However, it did show me that parts can be reproduced, and even aging and patina can be reproduced quite effectively. A reminder for us all on both the opportunity it provides us but also how it might be very easy to dupe an unsuspecting individual. This gun and its revival is now well documented but what about the ones that are “dolled” up in some fashion but represented as “factory original”. Brett

Any mechanical part once made can be made again and often more easily and with more precision using modern machine tools. The rub comes in getting a capable person to do it.

Regarding guns that are dolled up and represented as original: it’s my opinion that on the more common American makers like Fox, Parker, LCS, Ithaca - it's extremely hard to fool their more knowledgeable aficionados. That's where expert friends or getting an opinion on commission come into play if you're looking at buying a highly valued example. But contrary, advice from a psuedo/apprentice type fella often fits the "blind leading the blind" phrase and can let a good and long sought after gun slip away when you get edgy. But with all said it's easier to sell/buy a dolled up gun if the maker is less well known and there are few examples for detailed-oriented gents and resources to have studied. All this how I see it from decades of fooling with vintage American shotguns. frank
Aan
Maggiemollie

Re: Ready for the Trap Line once again!

Post by Maggiemollie »

Listen to Frank. He knows his S*%t!!

From collecting vintage guitars and making good money, losing good money, (I.e., basically breaking even) the seller who seems to know a lot about the item but claims ignorance of responsibility and representing, "just telling you what I've been told it's all original" is STAY AWAY!!! The seller who can answer, explain and demonstrate the reasons why something is right (when you ask why) is generally honest and selling at legit market price. The seller who seems to have legit total ignorance and portrays the item as "my uncles I have no idea" is the crap shoot. Could be great, could be crap.

Balance the purchases.

What I learned with guitars is when I wasn't quite sure the originality, I turned to "if I pay THIS and it turns out to be THAT, how much do I lose between THIS and THAT and if is acceptable, who cares because it's cool." If not acceptable, then stay away.