Replacement stock options...moved from main forum

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
BHiller

Replacement stock options...moved from main forum

Post by BHiller »

I recently purchased an AH Fox Sterlingworth 12 ga and the stock & buttplate were damaged in transit. The seller was great about it and made good on it to a certain extent. However, I will need either a replacement stock, or to have the chip and other small crack repaired. I plan to use the gun for ducks and prairie grouse extensively so I'm not worried about resale value. I want a gun that looks good, but is primarily a working gun.

I've checked a couple of places online but I'm wondering if there is "THE" place to get a replacement stock that folks have used.

The gun is a full pistol grip with grip cap and has a hard plastic butt plate. I intend to replace the stock and have a recoil pad installed instead.

Looking for some thoughts and places that sell replacement wood.

Thanks,

Brian
vaturkey

Re: Replacement stock options...moved from main forum

Post by vaturkey »

BHiller wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:53 pm I recently purchased an AH Fox Sterlingworth 12 ga and the stock & buttplate were damaged in transit. The seller was great about it and made good on it to a certain extent. However, I will need either a replacement stock, or to have the chip and other small crack repaired. I plan to use the gun for ducks and prairie grouse extensively so I'm not worried about resale value. I want a gun that looks good, but is primarily a working gun.

I've checked a couple of places online but I'm wondering if there is "THE" place to get a replacement stock that folks have used.

The gun is a full pistol grip with grip cap and has a hard plastic butt plate. I intend to replace the stock and have a recoil pad installed instead.

Looking for some thoughts and places that sell replacement wood.

Thanks,

Brian
Since this is a duck gun and probably will have some hard use, I'd certainly look at repairing the original stock as the first option. Please post a couple of pics and we might be able to point you in the right direction to get it repaired. Finding a vintage type/style recoil pad is what I'd do. They can be found with a bit of looking.
BHiller

Post by BHiller »

Thanks for the thoughts. I know it's a pretty rough gun and duck hunting won't likely be easy on it either. It's going to need a good cleaning to start since the wood and the metal are both pretty dirty/tarnished.

Here are some pictures of the chip/crack and broken butt plate.
Fox butt plate.jpeg
Fox toe 2_.jpeg
Fox toe 1_chip.jpeg
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

In my opinion easily fixable because you have the piece. Reproduction buttplates are available on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194356299748?h ... R7Ll853IYQ

What part of the country are you in? PS. That's not a hard fix IMO.
BHiller

Post by BHiller »

I'm in northern MN. There are a few folks not too far away who might be able to handle the repair. I just received the gun last week and haven't had much time to pursue repair yet. My plan is to have everything done at the same time (cleaning the stock/wood & metal, as well as the stock repair and replace the butt plate) so I have time to use it over the summer on the range.

I do have a drive to NY & back in May (and again in August), so if there's someone especially good in any of the states in between I could drop it off along the way.

Appreciate the help.

Brian
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

BHiller wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:22 pm I'm in northern MN. There are a few folks not too far away who might be able to handle the repair. I just received the gun last week and haven't had much time to pursue repair yet. My plan is to have everything done at the same time (cleaning the stock/wood & metal, as well as the stock repair and replace the butt plate) so I have time to use it over the summer on the range.

I do have a drive to NY & back in May (and again in August), so if there's someone especially good in any of the states in between I could drop it off along the way.

Appreciate the help.

Brian
Might reach out to this fellow. He can do the job and he is in Michigan. Pretty well know for work on doubles.

https://www.facebook.com/whitmangunsmithing

Another one is Matthew at Black Diamond. He can certainly do it also. He is in Ohio.

http://www.blackdiamondgunworksllc.com/

Both are no doubt backed up. I've had Matthew work on a few of my foxes.
BHiller

Post by BHiller »

Thanks for that. I'll check them out and see what their workload is like.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Aligned w/Tom, easily fixed by any good stock guy and go with a reproduction butt plate or reproduction Hawkins pad if you want a pad on it. Both recommendations by Tom would be good. Since you’re in MN reach out to Puglis’ and see if they have a recommendation in MN. Vintage Firearms Inc. in Grand Rapids MI is an option as well however they are on a hold for repair work right now until they work through their backlog. Good luck
Regards - Foxnut
BHiller

Post by BHiller »

Thanks, I'll get in touch with them and see what they say about gunsmiths in MN who might be able to do the work.
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

A very easy fix. there is no need for a new stock for that minor damage.
,Brian Dudley
BHiller

Post by BHiller »

Thanks for the info. I was pretty worried I would have to replace the whole thing. I didn't pay much for the gun, but don't want to spend a huge amount of money to get into working shape either.