Red Setter Pup inbound

Use this forum to post pictures of your hunting dog.
vaturkey

Red Setter Pup inbound

Post by vaturkey »

Litter of Reds born on 9 Jan. Somewhere in this mass of pups is a female for me. Breeder is Joe Edwards who runs Come Back Kennels in NC. Sire is Billy Boy who trials a bit. I think they will have some wheels. Pick her up early March. Gonna be weird picking out a dog when they all look the same.

The search for a Red has been going on for a while. After our Golden Gracie passed away my wife really wanted another red dog in the house and well, happy wife happy life. :)

PS. Hope Sophie doesn't eat her. Sophie turned 8 on 5 Jan and I felt the need to cut her back a bit.
Attachments
billyboy2018puppy.jpg
billyboy2018puppy.jpg (117.13 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
328431195_1342997872940966_5986646574952526546_n.jpg
44whiskey

Re: Red Setter Pup inbound

Post by 44whiskey »

happy for you Tom,their nothiing like having a new pup in your life,hope Sophie takes to her :wink: regards Fred
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

That’s great Tom. I can’t wait to see pictures of the pup with your Fox.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Congrats, Tom. Mom is a good looking dog. That's a pretty big litter. How many females are there? Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Jim Cloninger wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:40 am Congrats, Tom. Mom is a good looking dog. That's a pretty big litter. How many females are there? Jim
5 females in the litter. I have second pick of the females. Since they all look the same I am counting on the breeder to help me pick one out that has the best confirmation and gait while running.
67galaxie

Post by 67galaxie »

Woohoo!
loggy

Post by loggy »

Congratulations! Is that pup an Irish Setter or a color variation of another setter? I am happy for you, nothing like a new pup to liven up your day. John
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

loggy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:13 am Congratulations! Is that pup an Irish Setter or a color variation of another setter? I am happy for you, nothing like a new pup to liven up your day. John
This is a Red Setter, which I've been told is a cross between and English Setter and an Irish Setter. A true Irish Setter will almost never have white and a good many red setters will have a bit of white normally in the chest area. Red Setters were developed to move Irish Setters out of the show ring and back into the hunting field. Well, the above is what I've heard. I'll be the first to admit its quite complicated and as such I may have it wrong. My pups mothers call name is Come Back Little Bit. Her sister just came in 3rd in an event held last week. She is in the attached photo. Not hard to pick out the only Red Setter with all those Pointers. One thing about the Red Setters. When they are at a field trial everyone wants to see them run. They are impressive. I've never even thought about competing in field trials, but I'll admit it is something I am considering.

PS. Interesting reading here: https://nrsftc.com/index.php/history/
Attachments
littlebitsistermistyred..jpg
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Tom,
Congrats! Always fun bringing a new puppy home and working with them. We’ll be anxious to see which one you pick and how she progresses! I have ran across a few Reds here in MI but am not as familiar with the breed as I should be. Thanks for sharing the link, some good information on the history and goal of bringing the hunting standard back.
Regards - Foxnut
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

One of the hardest things about developing a field trial dog is getting them completely and 100 percent broke to flush and shot. If the dog does anything more then turning its head to watch as the bird flies away after being flushed, its a DQ and they get picked up (aka game over). Accordingly, a lot of trial dogs never get hunted or only get hunted with with other trial dogs that are fully broke.

If one hunts with the type of dog Sophie is (Solid on point but will break at the shot), over time that field trial dog is gonna break to chase because all the other dogs with it are going to break. Many a fellow has had a full broke dog and then hunted with other folks whose dog isn't broke and bingo that field trial dog is no longer Broke.

I'd say most of the dogs that are DQ'd during trials are because they move during the flush or when the blank pistol goes off. Its a pretty non forgiving sport.

PS. There are other trials that have different rules for sure. Some require retrieving and birds are killed. Lots of other trials no birds are ever shot. Many a field trial dogs never retrieve at all. Its all about the finding and being steady to flush. Big time bonus points if they back another dogs point. It can be cut throat and there are often a lot of side bets going on. Interesting to go to an event. I've been to a few where a bunch of different breeds are out there competing.
loggy

Post by loggy »

Tom, thank you for the information. Good luck with your pup!
John
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Down here at the breeder with a buddy. Got to play with the pups. Too soon to pick one out.
Attachments
20230207_100349.jpg
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Did take one of last years litter out for a spin.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

vaturkey wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:20 pm Did take one of last years litter out for a spin.
Last years pups are gone. Did take a few out for a spin from some Joe Edwards is evaluating for field trials. This male is 18 months old.
Attachments
20230208_200849.jpg
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

One more pic. Mamma was about to eat me, so this is as close as I could get.
Attachments
DSC01874.JPG