Small crack

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
BlitzBound

Small crack

Post by BlitzBound »

Hi folks, I am a new member. I have been lurking for years, but just recently registered as I had a question.
I recently acquired a Sterlingworth 12 gauge with ejectors (Good story comes with it- will share in general forum).
It appeared to be in great shape. When hunting with it, I noticed a crack in the grip up against the receiver. In looking at pictures of it before I shot it, I can make out a hairline crack, but I guess it became a little more pronounced after shooting.
Since I’m a new ti this forum, o don’t believe I’m allowed to share pictures yet.
My question is should I stop shooting it for now (my guess is yes)? Also, I am in NJ, any recommendations on a good classic gunsmith (except G&H)?
Thank you!
Stan Hillis

Re: Small crack

Post by Stan Hillis »

Welcome, BB. You're certainly at the right place for information on your Fox gun. Not being able to see where the crack is, and the extent of it, I would put forth that the safest thing to do right now is to not shoot it until you get the issue sorted out. If you will take some high resolution pics, close up, and forward them to me by email I will be glad to post them for you. Then, you can benefit from the expertise and advice of many others here much more knowledgeable than me. Not sure if you meant you are a new "registered member" here, or a new paid member. But, if the former I would encourage you to join the AHFCA organization so that you can have available to you the years of posts on the forums available only to members, among other benefits. But, for now, take time to read back through the Technicana and Restoration Forum here, and avail yourself of the valuable info posted previously about cracks like yours.

stanhillis@gmail.com

edited for clarification
Last edited by Stan Hillis on Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Dudley

Re: Small crack

Post by Brian Dudley »

It sounds like what you describe is a very common sort of cracking in Fox heads in the middle to upper section of the cheek. This is caused by recoil combined with loosening of the action fit on the wood and movement of the stock. the repair usually involves reinforcing the crack from the front side of the head as well as glass bedding the action into the inletting.
,Brian Dudley