Barrel Information

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Larry Allen

Barrel Information

Post by Larry Allen »

I've recently had my Fox semi-restored. Wood recheckered and barrels re - rust blued. The fellow doing the barrels told me that some of his customers saw my gun and said the barrels were original but apparently heavier than standard. I'm not sure what to make of that not knowing. My question - anyone know ? Can I shoot normal shells and not low velocity ? Serial number 34137, grade A built in 1933 . 30" barrels, heel 2 3/4, grip Half. Weight 7 lb. 8 oz. on tag from files. I'm a novice, looking for help. Bought the gun to shoot for a while and pass to my grandkids. I'm 73 and don't plan on any big plans in shooting. Other than a member of this group and enjoying articles, etc.. Thank-you, Larry
Researcher

Re: Barrel Information

Post by Researcher »

Fox barrels in the rough were broken up in to four weights from the heavier 1-weight down to the lightest 4-weight.
Barrel Weight Chart 12-gauge.jpeg
There were also the 0-weight barrels for the HE-Grade Super-Fox.
Share the knowledge
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Larry, remove your barrels and look for a number stamped on the underside that looks like this. Sometimes it's still there, and sometimes the number has been removed during the striking process.
Fox Barrel #2.jpg
Fox barrel #4.jpg
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Dave kindly posted the 12-gauge "barrel-weight" and weight (mass) chart, and indicated that chart is for rough tubes. Let me emphasize that rough tube sets (barrels) will loose 2-4 ounces from the indicated weight (mass) when struck and finished.

As many here know there are barrel-weight/mass charts in MM's Fox book for 12-16-20 gauge. All too often and especially on another site fellas will write so glowingly how they have a penchant for finding Foxes with 4-weight tubes and how desirable they are, when in fact they often have 3-weights and are correlating with the rough/unstruck mass shown in the charts in the book. Me? I've found that true 4-weight barrels are typically too whippy for good shooting, and in a given Fox I'd much prefer 3 or even 2-weights versus 4's. A few ounces minus/plus on the front half of the barrels make a definite and discernable difference in swing dynamics. JME. frank
Aan
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Silvers wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:44 am Dave kindly posted the 12-gauge "barrel-weight" and weight (mass) chart, and indicated that chart is for rough tubes. Let me emphasize that rough tube sets (barrels) will loose 2-4 ounces from the indicated weight (mass) when struck and finished.

As many here know there are barrel-weight/mass charts in MM's Fox book for 12-16-20 gauge. All too often and especially on another site fellas will write so glowingly how they have a penchant for finding Foxes with 4-weight tubes and how desirable they are, when in fact they often have 3-weights and are correlating with the rough/unstruck mass shown in the charts in the book. Me? I've found that true 4-weight barrels are typically too whippy for good shooting, and in a given Fox I'd much prefer 3 or even 2-weights versus 4's. A few ounces minus/plus on the front half of the barrels make a definite and discernable difference in swing dynamics. JME. frank
I'm a big fan of the 3 weights as well. FWIW, I had Jon Hosford measure a couple of sets of 16 gauge 4 weight barrels for me at the NE or Southern last year (Can't remember which frankly) and they were pretty darn thin as far as minimum barrel wall thickness. I passed on a very nice 16 AE for that reason that I was prepared to buy. FWIW, many and I many of the dealers don't provide that measurement, so its up to you to do your own research. Jon Hosford has helped many others as well. That's money well spent IMO.