12 gauge super Fox bore and choke dimensions?

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
highshooter

12 gauge super Fox bore and choke dimensions?

Post by highshooter »

I was just wondering if some of you could help me out , with the average bore and chokes sizes , that are usually found in the early Super Fox gun's? I have some info saying, .740 bore and chokes anything from .40 to.50 +, sounds like some of you have had quite a bit of experience with them.
eightbore

Re: 12 gauge super Fox bore and choke dimensions?

Post by eightbore »

Each gun is an individual, but your figures fit a lot of them.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Early guns measure .750, there is a group of guns that measure .745, then the last group measure .738-.740. Chokes of .050 exist in all ranges of bore sizes. There even a few guns in the records as HE and the bores measure the standard .730.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Bill and Craig have it just about covered. I'll add that in addition to verifying bores and choke constrictions, it's good to confirm the factory chambering. IME many 12-ga Supers had been modified post-factory by lengthening original Fox 2-3/4" chambers to standard 3-inch, also by opening the special Fox TIGHT 3 IN. chambers to standard 3-inch to more easily accept period 3-inch paper shells without having to push them into battery. A special chamber gauge made to Fox 3 IN. chamber specs is needed to confirm or deny factory 3 IN. chambers. I usually have mine with me while at SxS events with Fox member presence. frank
Last edited by Silvers on Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
highshooter

Post by highshooter »

Thanks, Bill, Craig and Frank for sharing your knowledge , I appreciate it, I'm able to measure close except for the chamber taper, hopefully if I can get my health in order, I can make it to one of the club meetings. I haven't had a chance to keep up much for a while now, been busy with the cancer thing, but doing well and ready to get a few out of the safe, and do some shooting!
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Good for you, Highshooter!! We hope to see you and your Super at one of our events this year. Believe me, burning some powder with the Fox gang is the best medicine available without a doctor's order, and the co-pay is far more reasonable!!
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

This from Chas. Askins the elder's 1929 book Modern Shotguns and Loads page 81 & 82 --
Chas. Askins best barrels pg 81.jpeg
Chas. Askins best barrels pg 82.jpeg
My July 1928 Super-Fox has .738" bores in the original 32-inch, 3-inch chamber, barrels. The gun's extra pair of Savage-era 28-inch, 3-inch chamber, barrels have a normal 12-gauge bore. Years ago, when I was visiting CSMC, Lou and I measured the bores in a Savage-era Super-Fox they had and got .731" bores.
Share the knowledge
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

My 3" HE has chokes of .048 and .050. With 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz. #4 Bismuth I get 77% and 80%. With 2 3/4" 1 3/8 oz. #5 bismuth I get 74% and 86%. With 3" 1 5/8 oz. #5 I get 75% and 75% I usually use #4 and #5 shot for ducks.
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
highshooter

Post by highshooter »

thanks for the information Dave, I have made some notes from it , bet that your old Super, will 'knock their eyes out '!
highshooter

Post by highshooter »

Jim, I bet your HE with those chokes, get the job done also, I like the Long barrel guns with the tight chokes, they're my favorite unless close shooting, timber or upland hunting behind a good dog!, then I will go with one of my other ones.