Fitting 16 gauge barrels on 20 gauge?

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Woodcock1

Fitting 16 gauge barrels on 20 gauge?

Post by Woodcock1 »

Good morning,
Is this possible? Currently have a 20 gauge but have an opportunity to purchase 16 gauge barrels. Could they be fitted to my frame?
Silvers

Re: Fitting 16 gauge barrels on 20 gauge?

Post by Silvers »

Woodcock, you didn't post if Ejector or Extractor. Depending on critical dimensions the 16 barrels can probably be fitted to your 20g frame by a good Foxsmith but fyi Ejector barrels are significantly harder to get correlated with the operating mechanics of the gun. But whether Ejector or Extractor, the barrel breeches will have to be struck to match up with the smaller breech balls ("fences" per the Brits) of the 20g frame, and then reblued. Also, hopefully the 16 barrels will come with a complete forend - but if not it's extremely difficult to get one ejector Fox forend to work with two barrels, easier if extractor but even then it can be a real challenge. I can do most if not all that work myself and I wouldn't undertake such a project unless I had oodles of time and was bored out of my gourd. Also had a good supply of Zoloft. :roll: No way if I had to pay someone for good factory quality work. Just sayin. frank
Aan
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Zooloft ........ that's a good one, Frank.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

More details would be nice. Also, whether those barrels are some of those that are out there in the "White". Those are a monster to fit because they aren't matted, don't have chambers cut, etc etc and are tremendously oversize and therefore take a massive amount of striking to get them down to an acceptable weight. I know of three gunsmiths that took on fitting in the white barrels and all three said they had undercharged the client and wouldn't do it again unless it was for a pile of dollars.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Stan Hillis wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:10 pm Zooloft ........ that's a good one, Frank.
On second thought, now that weed is legal in nearby CT, NJ and NY, might be better to get some and crank up a hooter or two while scratching my head with inevitable problems that will come up. :roll: Bwaaahahaaa. frank
Aan
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

To clarify and FYI, here's the opposite scenario - a 20 gauge Sterly barrel on a 16 gauge Sterly frame. See pic. Note how the breech ball/fence extends beyond the diameter of the barrel breech.

Now ..... as I replied earlier, the barrel breeches on a 16g barrel will be larger in diameter than the breech balls on a 20g frame and both breeches will have to be "struck" to match the breech ball contour. Assuming the remaining wall thickness will be safe for use with standard factory shells. Once in a while I read where someone had barrel work done that compromised the wall thickness and the fella writes how the guy who did the work said it would be ok for real light (pressure) loads. How about when the gun is sold or otherwise moves on and the next guy or gal starts shooting regular factory shells loaded to SAAMI pressure specs? Bad business .......

frank

IMG_2751-2.jpg
Last edited by Silvers on Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Woodcock1

Post by Woodcock1 »

Thanks for all info! Been a big help and will probably pass on the purchase!
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Here's a picture of a properly struck mating of the barrels and breech ball/fence.

While this still needs final polish you can get an idea of what Frank was talking about.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

ROMAC wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:57 pm Here's a picture of a properly struck mating of the barrels and breech ball/fence.

While this still needs final polish you can get an idea of what Frank was talking about.

I am pretty sure I know that gun and saw it being worked on.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Silvers wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:57 am
Stan Hillis wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:10 pm Zooloft ........ that's a good one, Frank.
On second thought, now that weed is legal in nearby CT, NJ and NY, might be better to get some and crank up a hooter or two while scratching my head with inevitable problems that will come up. :roll: Bwaaahahaaa. frank
ROTFLMAO
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

To answer the OPs question from a basic standpoint, yes. 16g. and 20g. barrels can be had on the same gun. It can be done. The amount of work needed to get there is s complete unknown, as well as what the result will be if you are starting with used barrels from another gun. This will be for the various reasons mentioned above by others.
,Brian Dudley