Lab in the uplands

Use this forum to post pictures of your hunting dog.
brushbuster

Lab in the uplands

Post by brushbuster »

I know I’m a heathen for hunting upland birds with a lab, but my little Luna sure loves her time in the uplands.
The grouse was a little unique with the double tail. I wonder if he narrowly escaped a predator at some point? It’s impossible to say.
Attachments
67DED893-2F6C-4C4F-A05A-5488628C9B6D.jpeg
Jeff S

Re: Lab in the uplands

Post by Jeff S »

Great picture! Luna sure does look happy.
Rbishop

Post by Rbishop »

Great looking Lab! Thanks for posting. What were you shooting?
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

that tail is a strange one,thanks for posting,Fred
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

You are not a heathen, you are a dog guy. All bird dogs are wonderful but Labs are the workhorses of the uplands/marsh. They do it all and are so easy to train.
IMG_0886.JPG
This year in South Dakota, veteran bird dog Fox. 12+ years and still doing what she loves. First bird with my new-to-me A grade 20 with 30" tubes which had a doubling problem repaired.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Luna is a beautiful Black Lab. My Black Labs excel in the uplands as well as waterfowl hunting.
My Mandy hunted wild Pheasants, Prarie Chickens, Sharp-tailed Grouse, Snipe, Dove along with ducks and geese.
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

Labs do awesome in the uplands.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Very interesting and great photos, guys. Having trained three Labs, as retrievers only, and having never hunted grouse, may I ask exactly how a Lab compliments a grouse hunt? Do they locate and flush the birds at will? If so I would surmise that you would want to train them to work close to you? Just curious.
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Yes Stan they do locate and flush birds but unlike a pointing dog who gives you plenty of time, if you are lucky, to set up for the shot, a flusher does not. I have learned to watch my dog's body language when he hits bird scent. It changes very quickly but gives me enough warning to anticipate a flush.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

DarylC wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:05 am Yes Stan they do locate and flush birds but unlike a pointing dog who gives you plenty of time, if you are lucky, to set up for the shot, a flusher does not. I have learned to watch my dog's body language when he hits bird scent. It changes very quickly but gives me enough warning to anticipate a flush.
I agree, my current Lab works close and I have learned to read her body language which often let's me know when a flush is coming.
brushbuster

Post by brushbuster »

I agree with what others have already said.
My Luna is from pointing lab stock she will point pen raised birds like pheasant or quail/chukar but grouse usually flush before she would establish a point. I can usually tell when she is on a bird based upon her body language which usually gives me a few seconds to take a step or two and get into a ready position for the flush. I let her range to my left and right a little more than straight ahead and I know my coverts well enough to hunt them in a way that gives me the advantage with using a flusher.

Having said that my buddies run setters and Britts and I really enjoy walking in on a solid point it really gets the adrenaline pumping!