Hard opening Sterlingworth

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
funhog

Hard opening Sterlingworth

Post by funhog »

Howdy folks! I have a really nice Sterlingworth that functions perfectly in all respects. Picked up some shells and took it to the trap range recently for its maiden shoot. I had not fired the gun previously. My mystery is that with snap caps, it fires perfectly and opens perfectly. Extractors work fine. But after I fire a shell, the gun becomes extremely difficult to open. It opens 1/4 inch or so right away, but the final opening is HARD. The shells are not stuck in the barrels, and the extractors work fine (once I get the gun open!). Any ideas on what is causing this? The good thing is that I could hit the clays with it! Thanks! funhog
ROMAC

Re: Hard opening Sterlingworth

Post by ROMAC »

From what I've read over the years, it sounds like the firing pins are getting stuck in/on soft primers.

Try a different brand of shotgun shell shell known for harder primers and see if this problem goes away.

I've never had the problem myself, so I don't have any recommendations as to what brand might work best to see if that might be the cure.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
funhog

Post by funhog »

Thanks for the suggestion. The thing is, the breech is already open that 1/4 inch before it becomes difficult to completely open! Another Fox mystery! funhog
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Based on your description, it works with snap caps, does not work with shells.

Snap caps = same as hard primers. It's not the gun, has to be the shells unless the chambers are grossly oversized and the shell base is "fire forming" to the oversized chamber and getting stuck.

Try polishing the chambers with a bronze brush chucked in a cordless drill, if there are any imperfections or hardened grease/oil/muck causing the shell to stick a good clean and polish might do the trick.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Check your fired hulls and see if you can see a drag mark on the primer. If yes try Remington shells.
funhog

Post by funhog »

Next time I'm at the range I'll try these ideas! I never really looked at the primers when I shot it the first time. Thank you so much for the suggestions and I'll let you know what happens...funhog
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Fun dog, I experienced the same problem with my 1924 Sterlingworth while I was at Hausmann’s in 2015. A “veteran” Fox guy explained the primer situation. Back then I was using “over the counter” shells. While at the event I switched to RST shells which alleviated the problem. That was my experience.
funhog

Post by funhog »

Thanks so much for the info. I will really pay attention to my primers, as I probably should have already!! funhog