Hello Fox Community

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Researcher

Re: Hello Fox Community

Post by Researcher »

We weren't in The Great War yet in 1916, just selling armaments. The A.H. Fox Gun Co. first made Mauser rifle barrels for Serbia then parts for Russian Moisen Nagent rifles. As the U.S. got into the war A.H. Fox Gun Co. made parts for Colt Model 1911s and made Very flare pistols.
Very Flare Pistol 25 mm.jpg
Very Flare Pistol Left.jpg
I have never seen a 1916 A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalog, but this 1915 has a 1916 price list pasted in on the title page. It is still listing the barrels as "genuine Krupp Fluid Steel."
1916 page 8, A-Grade Text.jpeg
1916 page 9, A-Grade picture.jpeg
By the 1917 A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalog the text was changed to "genuine Chromox Fluid Steel."
1917 page 8, A-Grade text.jpeg
1917 page 9, A-Grade picture.jpg
Over the years I've seen a few Ansley H. Fox doubles roll-stamped Chromox on the tops of the barrels, but vestiges of Krupp markings underneath.

Chromox Fluid Steel was being mentioned as early as the 1911/12 A.H. Fox Gun Co. Small-Bore brochure. It seems like some of the first 100 or so 16- and 20-gauges have Chromox marked barrels but then most of the next 7 or 800 have Krupp Fluid Steel barrels.
Share the knowledge
BlindRetrieve

Post by BlindRetrieve »

Researcher, thanks for taking the time to post those pictures. That must be the Finest Flare Gun in the World. I’m sure you all have had this discussion on the forum before but I did not know that Fox manufactured war material.
Strange that they would take the effort to stamp over Krupp barrels but I guess maybe the product had to match the marketing. John
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The house I grew up in, built in 1948, had a full compliment of Krupp marked sewer pipes in the crawl space under the first floor. My take is that the builder got a deal on a quantity of pipe at a government auction, just after the end of the war.