Uningraved Pennsylvania Arms Co. Receiver

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
stoneyknob

Uningraved Pennsylvania Arms Co. Receiver

Post by stoneyknob »

I have a PAC 12 gauge double, SN 802, that has no name or other engraving on the receiver. Did PAC manufacture any shotguns in the short time that AH Fox was not associated with the company? If so, did they have the "FOX" engraved receivers?
jolly bill

Re: Uningraved Pennsylvania Arms Co. Receiver

Post by jolly bill »

stoneyknob,

We sure would like to see some pictures of your PAC Fox.

Thank you.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

i second jollybill. thanks for posting .44whiskey
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

From my observations the earliest PAC guns up to 149 are engraved A.H. FOX on the side panels. From 152 on up just FOX is engraved on the side panel. Ansley left in December 1904. All the Philadelphia Arms Co. magazine advertising I've found is January to July 1905 --
Ad for A-Grade, American Field, April 22, 1905.jpg
Ad showing C-Grade.jpg
While the ads call it the A.H. Fox Gun, the cuts just show the name FOX on the sides.
Share the knowledge
stoneyknob

Post by stoneyknob »

Either engraving was buffed off or it never had any, 30" Krupp barrels, straight stock cracked wrist, WHITE LINE recoil pad, "Pat. Aug. 16, 1904"
Attachments
DSCN0782.jpg
DSCN0781.jpg
DSCN0780.jpg
DSCN0777.jpg
This is all that is left of the Philadelphia Arms Co address on the top of the barrels. If you use your imagination you can make out the letters FLUI
This is all that is left of the Philadelphia Arms Co address on the top of the barrels. If you use your imagination you can make out the letters FLUI
stoneyknob

Post by stoneyknob »

More photos
Attachments
DSCN0785.jpg
DSCN0784.jpg
DSCN0783.jpg
DSCN0786_edited.jpg
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

From the looks of the rust pits on the rib and the trigger guard, I suspect that long ago someone polished all the rust pits, along with the engraving, off the receiver, forearm iron, latch lever and barrels, but for some reason didn't tackle the rib and trigger guard. The gun was an A-Grade. The higher grades B to H were stamped on the watertable and barrel lug near the serial numbers. Also, the higher grades had the Parkeresque metal tip in the forearm wood.

B-Grade --
1087 B-Grade 07.jpg
C-Grade --
454 02.JPG
D-Grade --
348 D-Grade 17.jpg
E-Grade --
836 02.jpg
Share the knowledge
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Researcher wrote:From the looks of the rust pits on the rib and the trigger guard, I suspect that long ago someone polished all the rust pits, along with the engraving, off the receiver, forearm iron, latch lever and barrels, but for some reason didn't tackle the rib and trigger guard. The gun was an A-Grade. The higher grades B to H were stamped on the watertable and barrel lug near the serial numbers. Also, the higher grades had the Parkeresque metal tip in the forearm wood.

B-Grade --
1087 B-Grade 07.jpg
C-Grade --
454 02.JPG
D-Grade --
348 D-Grade 17.jpg
E-Grade --
836 02.jpg
Very nice pictures Dave.

It's not very often that higher grade PAC Fox's are seen. Even the fore ends. The rest of those guns would have to look gorgeous.

Thanks for showing us.

And, your theory about what might have happened to the "FOX" marking on the sides of the receiver sounds about right.

Are you warm enough there in Spokane?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

They are predicting triple digits for Friday and Saturday. If they do we'll tie the record for triple digits set back in the late 1920s, and we'll still have all of August to go!! My article on Philadelphia Arms Co. with pictures of my C-Grade and the P.F. du Pont E-Grade is in The Double Gun Journal, Volume Thirteen, Issue 4. Check the archived March 2015 Julia's catalog for pictures of 348, the only known D-Grade --

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdju ... /2572-373/
Share the knowledge
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Thanks for the link Dave. That D grade PAC Fox is gorgeous.

Stay cool!
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Dave, thanks for posting the link. Gorgeous gun!
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

thanks for pics and posting.researcher thanks for your response,you are a great asset to this organization.44whiskey
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Dave, I hope you scored that D Grade. I wonder who ended up with the E Grade that we spent so much time chasing?