Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
44whiskey

Re: Went to the dark side last week

Post by 44whiskey »

looking good tom,fred :wink: is bending done with hot oil
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Looks really nice, Tom. I couldn't have shot it with 2 1/8" DAH either. Actually, 2 3/8" is a little high for me. I can shoot guns with a little too much drop much better than I can those with too little. I just refuse to make myself "float" a bird, or target.

SRH
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Looking good Tom.

What does it weigh?
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Stan Hillis wrote:Looks really nice, Tom. I couldn't have shot it with 2 1/8" DAH either. Actually, 2 3/8" is a little high for me. I can shoot guns with a little too much drop much better than I can those with too little. I just refuse to make myself "float" a bird, or target.

SRH
I can shoot 2 1/2" really well. 2 3/4" causes me problems. However, I was fitted by Dan Rossiter with a try gun (owned by Morris of RST) and I have 1 3/8" DAC and 2 3/8" DAH and 1/4" cast off and 14 5/8" LOP. This will hit the mark with the exception of being a tad shorter LOP. Was not going to mess with that Parker Skeleton buttplate. This will be my Va Woodcock gun next year for the most part. I do like those little bitty 28 Gauge shells.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

44whiskey wrote:looking good tom,fred :wink: is bending done with hot oil
I'm not sure of what process this stocker used. I know Dan Rossiter used heat lamps and a very precise jig. The wood had to reach a certain temp where it would bend and I saw him actually bend the stock by applying pressure with his hand. Once it was bent he secured it back in the jig where it was allowed to cool overnight. Some stocks had to be bent more then once as they would spring back.
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

I like that stock and finish. Bobby
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Tom, I think you let the best advice from posters about your ejector stop go over your head. The ejector stop will never give you any trouble unless you abuse it by letting the ejectors fly with nothing to cushion the blow. If you don't dry fire your gun, the ejectors never fly without a shell in the gun. End of story.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

eightbore wrote:Tom, I think you let the best advice from posters about your ejector stop go over your head. The ejector stop will never give you any trouble unless you abuse it by letting the ejectors fly with nothing to cushion the blow. If you don't dry fire your gun, the ejectors never fly without a shell in the gun. End of story.
Thanks Bill. BTW, notice the difference in finish between this parker before and after refinishing. Nice to remove that nasty nasty finish and put on a nice hand rubbed oil. I know some folks will be hesitant to do that for resale value, but the reality is with so few 28 gauge DT Parker Repro's out there it won't hurt that much and it needed a refinish after the stock bend. I should have it back shortly although I've found in many cases as you know, what a stockmaker says regarding time and what it actually turns out to be is far far different.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Tom,
The Repro stock refinish is looking good. I have seen several of these guns with the refinished oil stocks. They look great!
Regards - Foxnut
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

ROMAC wrote:Looking good Tom.

What does it weigh?
Missed this. Weight 5lb 9 oz.
loggy

Post by loggy »

The refinish sure enhances the beauty of the wood. Nice job!
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Tom, post some pictures of some Woodcock taken by this gun. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Jim Cloninger wrote:Tom, post some pictures of some Woodcock taken by this gun. Jim
Will gladly next year most likely while hunting in Michigan. Hopefully a pic with a grouse as well.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

vaturkey wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:18 am
Stan Hillis wrote:Looks really nice, Tom. I couldn't have shot it with 2 1/8" DAH either. Actually, 2 3/8" is a little high for me. I can shoot guns with a little too much drop much better than I can those with too little. I just refuse to make myself "float" a bird, or target.

SRH
I can shoot 2 1/2" really well. 2 3/4" causes me problems. However, I was fitted by Dan Rossiter with a try gun (owned by Morris of RST) and I have 1 3/8" DAC and 2 3/8" DAH and 1/4" cast off and 14 5/8" LOP. This will hit the mark with the exception of being a tad shorter LOP. Was not going to mess with that Parker Skeleton buttplate. This will be my Va Woodcock gun next year for the most part. I do like those little bitty 28 Gauge shells.
In those situations where I have a gun that is really too short, in the LOP department, and don't want to add a pad, I just slip on a leather lace-on butt pad. I have about five of them in different sizes that each add 1/2" to the LOP. I just don't leave them on the gun for long periods of time, fearing that a demarcation line might appear in the wood from the lack of UV rays beneath the pad. I had this happen once on a Beretta SPII.
spyder

Post by spyder »

I had Brian Dudley install ejector stop screws on my 28g Repro. It may be overkill, but it takes the risk of an expensive repair out of the equation.
Attachments
A6F41091-05D9-4492-8EB4-B520E8A3158A.jpeg