Mick's first training day on live birds!

Use this forum to post pictures of your hunting dog.
Mike of the Mountain

Mick's first training day on live birds!

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Had Mick, our six month old tri-color Setter out on 2/24 for his first day on live birds. Haven't had the chance to work with him for three months, so this was his big day. We put him in the yard with a clipped wing chukar first. His predator switch turned on after a couple minutes and we worked him on the check cord for some beginner retrieving. We then put him on three planted birds in the field. He found all three and pointed. The first I shot on the flush and Mick didn't flinch. He hears shotguns all the time here so that was no surprise. The second bird he found and pointed. It flushed low so I had to wait for it to get some "sky" under it. I hit it in the woods and it dropped and ran. Mick scent trailed it 30 yards down through the snow covered woods and pointed it under a bush! He was rewarded by being allowed to carry it back to the tractor path. The third bird was already mobile when we rounded the next bend. It put on it's track shoes. We let Mick go and once again, he scent trailed it 40 yards through the woods and down a bank. He pointed the bird at the base of a tree where there was a spot of barren ground. We flush the bird and when my 16g dropped that bird too Mick was on it!! My buddy looked at me and said "Looks like you have another bird dog whether you want one or not!" Mick got to carry that bird all the way back to the truck. I only have one photo from the early part of the training so that will be here after the story. I hope to get more next week. With the warming temps I plan on doing more training next week.
Attachments
IMG_5792.jpg
44whiskey

Re: Mick's first training day on live birds!

Post by 44whiskey »

sounds like the beginning of a great bird dog . hope he continues to just get better and better. all the best 44whiskey
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Pretty Setter, Mike. Congratulations, may you both live long and healthy lives in the field.

SRH
Mike of the Mountain

Thanks guys. I forgot to add that Mick is out of our first litter from the breeding between our DeCoverly's Natty Jo and Royal Sterling's Schuyler on August 13 . He was one of nine pups and was my pick of the litter. The other eight pups were sold by four weeks and they went to their new homes in October. We are planning on one more breeding of Jo in summer of 2022.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

I love to watch a young pup turn on to birds, one of the great joys of owning a working dog. Keep us posted on the progress. Nice looking pup!
Mike of the Mountain

Thanks Craig!! I will keep y'all appraised. :D
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Hey Mike, is Mick's AKC name Mick Jagger by any chance? lol
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Mike of the Mountain

Jim, he is not AKC, he is FDSB. His kennel name is "Mick Bronx Bomber 7" after Mickey Mantle, as he was born on the 25th anniversary of Mickey's death.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Nice looking pup and a wonderful start. Hope your snow goes away soon. Our's in Va is almost gone with the cold rain we are getting today. Nasty weather day outside.