Great Grand-dad's 16 ga

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox
bogue

Great Grand-dad's 16 ga

Post by bogue »

Hello,
I am new to the forum & new to Fox's.
I want to share pics of the gun & hopefully extract some information about this gun;
It has been in the family since new (whenever that was) & I would like to take it on a dove hunt or several this coming fall.
AH Fox_1.jpg
AH Fox_2.jpg
AH Fox_3.jpg
AH Fox_4.jpg
AH Fox_5.jpg
Apparently 5 pics is my max, so underneath the barrels, the FOX Proof stamp is there w/ serial # & the letter "A" in the upper left hand corner.
I would greatly appreciate some of you knowledge passed on.

Thank You!
Stan Hoover

Re: Great Grand-dad's 16 ga

Post by Stan Hoover »

A Family treasure for sure.
Although I'm sure it doesn't take any sentimental value away for sure, but do you know if it has been refinished?
Thanks,
Stan Hoover
bogue

Post by bogue »

Stan,

I think my brother in law had the barrel blued but I am not 100% certain (he is no longer with us)
But yes this will pass down & the boys can fight over it when I am too old to walk the field anymore :)

Marty
Stan Hoover

Post by Stan Hoover »

That's great, I hope to pass a few guns on hopefully when I'm no longer able to enjoy them.

My father was not a hunter but my grandfather was an avid small game hunter. He's still with us but unfortunately he hasn't really showed any interest in what will happen with his firearms. I hope to be able to purchase 1 or so, but since there's more grandsons than guns, we will have to wait and see how that plays out. Maybe grandfather will surprise us and have a plan on what happens with them.

Enjoy your fine looking Fox an WELCOME,

Stan Hoover
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

That’s a beautiful family heirloom. Order a box of RST shells and take it hunting this fall.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

very nice A grade .if not refinished it is in remarkable condition. either way i hope you enjoy hunting with it.thank you for posting pics.all the best 44whiskey
Don Ay

Post by Don Ay »

great little Fox
bogue

Post by bogue »

Thank You for the nice replies!
Someone suggested RST shells, so please excuse my ignorance, is it suggested, recommended or imperative that I use RST shells?
The local sportmans shop to me has; Fiocchi Dove Loads ( 2-3/4", 7-1/2 Dove Load 1 oz @ 1165 fps), I have been buying the allotted 2 boxes per trip when I do go there because they are in stock and a reasonable price. I was advised no steel shot, nor hot loads for this gun, but was told; "you are not going to wear it out, go hunt it". So I figure the best way to be humbled is to go try Dove hunting! :) I am also in the stages of acquiring my Great Uncle's Remington 1100 in 20 ga as another Dove gun.
Also, were the serial numbers produced in a sequential pattern? I saw a pic/post of another gun, I think it was a 12 ga, that has a 301 leading serial number and he was told it was a 1921 or '22 issue, with mine being a 302, can I assume it is a '22 or '23? I am trying to gather as many of the family guns together as I can afford, before they are scattered and quite possible some of them just pawned for bad cash.

Let me know forum protocols, if this conversation needs to move to a different section,

Thank You,
Marty
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Marty, please check the chamber length before shooting. I have an identical gun and it’s chambered for 2 1/2” shells, hence my recommendation to order RST shells. I suppose that it’s possible that someone lengthened your chambers, but odds are that they are 2 1/2”. RST inventory is very low right now so put in an order this weekend.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Marty, I just checked the RST website. All they have left are paper hulls and spreaders. Order some this weekend. I would be happy to loan you a box, but it’s a long drive from Michigan to North Carolina. In addition to being the only supplier of 2 1/2” shells, their shells are “low pressure” and are kind to 100 year old, light weight shotguns.

I really don’t want you to think I’m annoying :). You have inherited a dream gun (I bought it’s twin 3 months ago). If you want to shoot it, contact RST pdq.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I see that your serial # is 302454. Mine is 3019XX. Pretty close.
bogue

Post by bogue »

Jeff,

Thank You for the info! I have already bookmarked the RST site & have a few boxes in the queue for 7-1/2 shot. Will buy more later as $$ allow.
I greatly appreciate the advise and bug me all you want, because the last thing I want to do is ruin this firearm!
With our serial numbers being close, is there any semblance that they are of the same year? I still do not know for certain what year it is?

Thanks
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I’m very glad that you checked into RST.

Most of the members will tell you that Fox did not always ship in sequential order. The theory is that occasionally parts sat around in the shop.

When I bought mine, I was told it shipped around 1923, but I do not have a letter to substantiate that date.

Enjoy your gun.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

bogue wrote:Stan,

I think my brother in law had the barrel blued but I am not 100% certain (he is no longer with us)
But yes this will pass down & the boys can fight over it when I am too old to walk the field anymore :)

Marty
Marty, Looking at the barrels, trigger guard, and frame, it's a pretty safe bet that your brother-in-law had all of the metal refurbished. While the "collectors" consider that a bit of a "deduct", you don't care because it's a family heirloom. It will look beautiful for you and your descendants. Please post a picture of it with a dead animal in the near future. We all want to hear how it performs. By the way, how long are the barrels? Jeff
bogue

Post by bogue »

Jeff,

Can't wait to post a DOA pic! Just hope that 1st dove of the season doesn't cost me $32 :D (meaning 2 boxes of shells).
The barrels are 26" and my chamber size is 2-3/4 (measured by my local gunsmith today)
Yeah this gun is not leaving the family, nor is it going to reside in the safe, my plan is to dove hunt it for the time being. See how I do with it, because I do not want to modify it, may add a butt pad but so far fit to shoulder & cheek seems very comfortable.