Hawkins recoil pad

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Lead drifter

Hawkins recoil pad

Post by Lead drifter »

Hello everybody , Recently joined the club and am in the process of adding a Hawkins pad to a new to me SW to help increase the LOP and help the gun fit me better , my ? is the Hawkins pad from Connecticut shotgun is huge , Gonna take an hour with a belt sander just to get it close , Has this been the norm ? from everyone else's experience with these pads ? and the Screw holes don't match up by a long shot , are there other preferred pads that the Forum shade tree lover's of period SXS are using ? Looking at adding 1 inch of LOP to the factory length , figured I would ask before diving in to the project , Thank's Lead drifter
Lead drifter

Re: Hawkins recoil pad

Post by Lead drifter »

Thank's for looking , but I did a search and answered my ? 5 x 1.65 is about the size needed for my stock , not the 6 x 2 that a hawkins is , will go with the silvers or slip on from CSM .
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Lots of folks like the No Shoc as well and it looks good on a Sterly. Size is closer also:

https://connecticutshotgun.co/noshoc-recoil-pad/
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Drifter, when you say you joined the club do you mean registering as "user" or actually joining the AHFCA as a paying member? If the latter and once you're enabled as a member you'll be able to access the Members Only forums that are here in phantom. The reason I ask is that ime members will generally get more consideration and thus more responses to questions when asked in the Members' forums or even here in public.

With all that said I ask if you really want to add 1" to the uncut butt of a Sterlingworth? That would make the LOP about 14-3/4". Ok if that's what you need for your physique but the stock might otherwise be too long for hunting or even for casual clays. I see so many guys and gals (who aren't regular competition shooters) struggling with long pull lengths just because some fitter told them they need a ridiculously long length of pull. And especially so with modern soft/high friction coefficient pads. Just something to think about. :)

frank
Aan
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The Hawkins repro that CSMC sells is the largest size with fifteen hearts, about the right size for a Magnum-10 NID and not much else. The medium-size Hawkins with thirteen hearts is a much better size for most uses, but finding a NOS one is tough. The pad the A.H. Fox Gun Co. used on most of their low to medium priced guns was the Jostam Anti-Flinch --
Jostam Anti-Flinch Recoil Pad H & D Folsom circa 1916.jpg
Jostam Anti-Flinch Recoil Pad H & D Folsom circa 1916.jpg (129.74 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
Jostam Anti-Flinch, American Rifleman January 1929.jpg
Jostam Anti-Flinch catalogue entry.jpg
The Jostam Anti-Flinch was the pad used by the factories on more American doubles from WW-I to WW-II than all the others combined and no one has made a repro of it!! Our fearless leader Craig has a story about that.
Share the knowledge
Lead drifter

Post by Lead drifter »

Thank you for the replies and yes I just became a member this week , Tom the Work Dan has done for you has threatened many a Greenback from casual readers and myself over the years , Dan and his crew are very talented and will probably ask him to look at tightening one of my SW up down the road , Frank I do need the LOP at around that 14 3/4 for my build , have shot it for years to the point that I almost exclusively shoot Italian Geurini's these day's for their longer LOP's for Sporting or 5 stand , due to Most Early and modern American made shotgun's coming in Short around the 14 or so mark on LOP , Researcher Thank you for all the Archiving your doing , it's truly inspiring the Depth of knowledge we Glee from your research , Your a Blessing to the addiction that is AH Fox , It's so bad at time's that just one Article from Shooting Sportsman took me on a year long quest to my version of a Boowhoop fowler , Really enjoy the site and am now thinking a SW 20 is needed to accompany my setter on our annual foray's of thing's feathered . LD
Lead drifter

Post by Lead drifter »

Guy's I apologize for the run on sentence's , I,m somewhat computer challenged still , it's matter of not having kids around to teach me on all things Tech .
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Welcome to the membership, LD.

Like you, I need a longer length of pull than the majority of folks. In fact, 14 3/4" works very well for me, too, for clays or for hunting. I usually get my LOP on most of my guns close to that mark, but I've found that a quick and easy way to add 1/2" is to use a lace-on, or velcro strapped, leather slip on pad. It's a good way to verify that you need the 1/2" longer pull on that particular gun without adding a recoil pad, or on a gun that you may not plan on keeping for a long time.

Best, SRH
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Don't worry about the rubber dust. Don't hang around while Dan grinds your pad and drills for new screws.
Lead drifter

Post by Lead drifter »

eightbore wrote:Don't worry about the rubber dust. Don't hang around while Dan grinds your pad and drills for new screws.
Lead drifter

Post by Lead drifter »

Eightborh ,Probably like watching an Ortho Surgeon working in a surgical sweet with his Carpenter tools , make you wanna Cringe and turn a Blind eye , just show me the Finished produce .
Lead drifter

Post by Lead drifter »

Stan that's my plan , I have used the Velcro that CSM sells in the past and they work , they are good for assessing LOP estimates for POI , if and when I figure out how to post picture's , I will certainly get them up as for this latest 95 year young SW I picked up is in nice shape for it's age ,good barrel ring and color , 30 inch #3 barrels , 60+ on the CC , solid wood to a chipped HRBP and solid lockup , just right for a over choked, Muzzle Mics .680 on both barrel's Turkey , Dove , pheasant , long shot Lead dispenser , now the next ? do I want to open up the Choke's , will know after some pattern board work all to the tune of just north of a decent Flyrod shipped from KC to Anchorage , Land of them ptarmigan . Thank's LD
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

I think that 3 different sizes of Hawkins pads were made originally. Small Medium and Large. Or maybe it was just small and large.
Either way, the CSMC reproductions are just in the large size. Not a big deal really when it comes down to it. As long as the vents are all within the butt area, use it.

Screw holes from a buttplate to a pad are usually not going to line up regardless of what pad you use.

If you are adding a pad to the gun just for the longer length, then put any period type pad on. The Silvers or Noshocs are great choices if you want a solid pad. And any of the other vented pads that are period will be ok too.

And any of them are going to have to be ground to fit for proper installation. Grinding on a proper fixture only takes a few minutes and then they are hand finished down to the wood.

If you are not comfortable with it, please get it to a professional who knows what they are doing.
,Brian Dudley
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Drifter, you may not have heard but Dan is no longer in business for himself. He has taken a position with Griffin & Howe and is in their shop in NJ. Our loss is their gain.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Here are a few pics of Hawkins NOS pads. Not a complete stock but will give some idea of sizes/choices offered
A5CB8F55-DC9D-47C7-9E9A-E715B2619936.jpeg
884F833F-C88F-4F5E-A417-E95D695114D9.jpeg
582CCEA5-3440-4462-A88A-140F7AB250D8.jpeg
BFBFC0D6-E561-49B7-82A0-C1BC4A3DBB31.jpeg
Regards - Foxnut