Savage Fox question

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
garvfam

Re: Savage Fox question

Post by garvfam »

I just called Briley to get an idea of repair cost. They will redo the ribs and re blue for $650.
That would take my cost to $1000 for an otherwise $1500 gu
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Sounds like a "can't go wrong" deal to me.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

garvfam wrote:I just called Briley to get an idea of repair cost. They will redo the ribs and re blue for $650.
I don't want to rain on your parade but to get this gun to a $1,500.00 value level it is going to take more than re laying the ribs and a barrel re-blue. You will need to have the the receiver and for-end iron re-cased, have the buffed out engraving sharpened up and do something about the for-end wood. now you are talking about putting $1,500.00 into about a $1,200.00 gun. If you want the gun pay the $350.00, shoot the heck out of it and call it money well spent for the enjoyment it brings you. If the barrels start to separate take it back to the dealer and get your money back as he offered but I would get that in writing.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Twice Barrel wrote:
garvfam wrote:I just called Briley to get an idea of repair cost. They will redo the ribs and re blue for $650.
I don't want to rain on your parade but to get this gun to a $1,500.00 value level it is going to take more than re laying the ribs and a barrel re-blue. You will need to have the the receiver and for-end iron re-cased, have the buffed out engraving sharpened up and do something about the for-end wood. now you are talking about putting $1,500.00 into about a $1,200.00 gun. If you want the gun pay the $350.00, shoot the heck out of it and call it money well spent for the enjoyment it brings you. If the barrels start to separate take it back to the dealer and get your money back as he offered but I would get that in writing.
With you on this one. There are 16 gauge Sterly's in original condition for sale on GB that cost less then $1,500 and they are in original unaltered condition. Purchasing it for $350 and shooting the heck out of it is the way to go. Just keep your fingers crossed that the ribs hold up.
garvfam

Post by garvfam »

Agreed, I had planned on doing just that.... shoot it and see what happens.
If the barrel ribs split down the road I'll decide then if I want to dump money into barrels or not.
You can't get into 16ga sterlingworth around my neck of the woods for under $1500 unless its in crappy condition. I have one and I truly luv the feel of them. A back up would be nice.
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Good plan. I have a 16 gauge Sterlingworth Brush model 16 made in 1922 I picked up from a parts dealer for $200.00 before he started stripping it that looked like it had been used as a paddle by a Chesapeake Bay Oyster man sitting on my bench for a couple of years. One winter day I decided what the heck let's see if I can clean this old girl up. The barrels had some light exterior pitting and were cold blued, no case colors just shiny Chromox bright silvery finish on the receiver and for-end iron, the wood had no varnish left and was bleached to almost white and there was minor pitting on the receiver but with a bit of elbow grease and a dozen coats of Tung Oil on the wood it started to look, not good but presentable. Then I started shooting it, what a surprise, light, fast and it fit perfectly. Now it goes with me on every hunt as my "rainy day" gun. Just because they have some warts doesn't mean they should be relegated to the parts bin.
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

Just my opinion but the small line of rust along the rib and the barrels, makes me think that it was cold blued.
I think hot bluing would have covered that area better, and would not show a rust line.
And the Dealer that is selling the gun is great to deal with, I have bought many guns from them over the years.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I would not assume that it has been hot blued just because the bluing looks a bit too shiny. If someone did a really high polish on the barrels when prepping for rust blue it can look even shinier than that. A friend of mine was able to bring them up to a very high polish when rust bluing. I have a rust blued 16 ga. that has higher shine than that one. The receiver does look blued though, which does raise a caution flag .......that whoever blued the receiver hot blued it, and the barrels, at the same time. Also, the application of a paste wax, with careful buffing off, can make barrels much more shiny.

FWIW, I'd buy it for $350 in a heartbeat. It's worth more than that for parts.

SRH