What is your favorite hunting gun?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
kgb

Re: What is your favorite hunting gun?

Post by kgb »

Model 12 16ga. Nothing carries like one, to my hands at least.
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
dragon

Post by dragon »

gotta say my model 42 on woodcock is my favorite!

Post by 200052 »

Even though I might have owned 15 or so Fox guns at any time, my favorite shotgun and quail companion, is a 20 Ga,
P Grade (fluid steel), 26" Parker. Some of you central east coast guys might be surprised to learn I bought it many years ago
from "Old never had a screw turned". I lived in Virginia most of my life, and bought several guns from him: you just need to
pay attention !

Ed Farrand
Mills

Post by Mills »

My Parker Trojan 20 gauge is my favorite. My Super Fox is probably second

Last edited by Mills on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaustin

Post by Jaustin »

My go to is an early BE with 30" barrels.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

My 6 1/4 pound 26" Sauer ten gauge. Easy to carry and will kill to extreme ranges. I even carry it for grouse with an extreme spreader in the right barrel.
FOXIST

Post by FOXIST »

A Fox Sterlingworth Skeet and Upland Game Gun 16Ga. with 28" bbls. Choked 1/4 choke and Modified according to letter.
Rear gun is a Parker Brothers DHE 16ga. on a #1 frame with 28" bbls. choked IC/Mod.
This picture taken earlier this season when Cousin Bill and I were out chasing some Northern Pa. Grouse. Chasing being the optimum
word here. Paul :wink:
A FOX GETS THE GAME!
loggy

Post by loggy »

I have two favorites. Both are twelve gauge guns. My early season gun is an AE shipped in 1915. It has 32 inch barrels and is choked .018/.026. The second is a BE that shipped in 1908. It has 30inch barrels and is choked .038/038. I use it when the only roosters left have very long tails. My goal is to wear off the bluing on both guns.
Attachments
IMG_0804.JPG
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

loggy wrote: My goal is to wear off the bluing on both guns.
Two very nice Foxes and an admirable goal!

SRH
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

For ducks I use my 12g BSS with my Dan Rossiter custom stock and ISIS Recoil System. Geese, Ithaca Super 10, 2 7/8" gun. Turkeys it's either my Ithaca Super-10 or my Rem 870 Mag w/red dot good to 60 yards on any longbeard that happens to be unfortunate enough to walk in front of my blind. Upland is by far my 16g Fox SW w/28" bbls. I just gravitate to the "Queen of the Uplands" for 90% of my hunts.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Jeff S wrote:For 25 years I used a 12 ga. BSS with 26" barrels. Great gun for partridge and woodcock, but a smidge bulky with the beavertail forearm. Then I caught the Fox bug and my favorite is my 1923 12 ga. sterlingworth with 26" #3 barrels. A little under 7 pounds and a joy to carry in the woods.

Jeff, partridge? You know the difference between partridge and grouse? Partridge are on the ground when you shoot them, grouse are rocketing through the thicket when you shoot at them!! :lol:
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Har Har Har! Well, you know it takes a pretty good hunter to shoot a grouse. However, it takes a truly great hunter to sneak up on a partridge and get within shooting range. I recommend moccasins.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

When I first started hunting bobwhite down here, as a kid, many men called them either birds or partridges ............... no, I take that back. Actually, they called them either "buhds" or "pottidges". But hey, they called a largemouth a trout, a crappie a speckled perch, a bluegill a bream, a chain pickerel a jackfish, a bowfin a mudfish, and a spotted sunfish a stumpknocker. I had to learn a whole new vocabulary when I began reading hunting and fishing magazines.

SRH
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

I know what you mean Stan. I used to read about the fishermen back East catching bream and horned pout and thinking how cool that would be. Wasn't until much later I found out they were bluegills and bullheads :D .
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

A young Researcher on a Minnesota Partridge hunt --
Minnesota Partridge Hunt 1950.jpeg
Dad's cousin Edna (left) is holding her Model 12, while her husband Willis' Model 12 is leaning against the tree. In between the bird I'm holding in my left hand and the birds my Father has in his left hand I can see the "Purdey style" forearm tip of his AE-Grade Remington Hammerless Double.

This early training apparently didn't take, and in a couple of years with the Forest Service, I shot more Grouse here in Washington State, with one of these --
22 SUPERSHOT Sealed Eight.jpeg
then I will live long enough to shoot with a shotgun.
Share the knowledge