mis-fires

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
txshootist

Post by txshootist »

Dick Baum wrote:Mis-fires: and the jury is now in. It was hammer springs that were weak. Oddly enough they did not show any decrease in length. I got lucky and obtained new springs that had never been in a gun, and they were exactly the same length as the originals. I would have thought they would take a "set" and shrink some, but they just lost their "springiness". Bobby alerted me to the difficulty of assembling tough springs and he was right on. The old ones nearly fell in place by themselves, while the new ones took a lot of effort. Thanks to Bill Jansen for describing the same symptoms, and to Fred, Dick, and Don for aiding in spring search. The springs actually came from a gunsmith in Conn., and he said he had other parts also. This is a great forum and without it I would still be mis-firing. Dick Baum
Dick,

I have been reading all the posts reagarding mis-fires on the SW. I, too, have had mis-fires with my 16ga Sterly. My first action was to have the gun thoroughly cleaned. I just got the gun back the other day with a note from the gunsmith stating that all was well. Of course he used blanks in his test firing and I have not been to the range to check the performance with live ammo yet. If it still misfires, I think I will go the route you did and obtain two new springs. In fact, it might be a good idea to have a couple on hand just in case. Thanks for all the good info.

Marc
txshootist

Post by txshootist »

Well, I just got back from a shoot with the 16ga Society and am happy to report that the thorough cleaning I had done a month ago to my mis-firing Sterly proved to be the answer. Not one misfire in 100 rounds.

Just thought I would provide this bit of information to those experiencing similar problems. Before you replace a bunch of expensive and rare parts, try a complete teardown and cleaning. My local gunsmith here in the Dallas area did the job for under $50. I couldn't be happier.

Marc