32" sterlingworths??

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
jimmartin

Re: 32" sterlingworths??

Post by jimmartin »

I have another 32 inch sterlingworth for the records # 132286 ,unfortunately I sold the gun over 8 years ago, wish I had it back.
Deetsman

Post by Deetsman »

I am new to the forum and the discussion of 32 inch Sterlingworths got my attention. I recently purchased a 16 gauge Sterlingworth that had two barrels. One set was 28 inches. The other set was 31 1/2 inches. The gun was made in 1918 according to the serial number. Both sets of barrels are serial numbered to the gun. The 31 1/2 inch set has the number 2 stamped under the serial number. The 28 inch set has the serial number but there is not a number 1 under the serial number. Is suppose the 28 inch set was the original set of barrels and the gun was sent back and fitted with a second set of barrels. I was hoping someone would answer a few questions I have concerning the longer barrels. The longer barrels appear uncut and are choked full and full. Since most barrels that I have seen on Fox shotguns are exactly 26, 28, 30, or 32 inches, would the odd length indicate they had been cut or did some barrels leave the factory in lengths other than the standard lengths. I would also like to know if I sent in for information from Mr. Callahan, would there be any record of the gun being sent back to be fitted with an extra set of barrels? Any information would be appreciated.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I believe that a few of the later barrels fitted after the operation was moved out of Uttica to Chicopee Falls had odd barrel lengths. If they were stamped with 2 3/4" on the outside and had the Chicopee Falls address that might be a bit of a clue. Guess only a letter would confirm things, but I seem to recall that at the end of production information got somewhat jumbled up. Also, the records regarding Sterlingworths aren' (IMO) as complete as what you see on the graded guns.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Deets, that sure sounds like a nice setup. We are aware of some 29.5" new unfitted barrels in 12 gauge and that happen to coincide with the standard metric barrel length of 75 cm. Not saying they were made for export guns, just that it's an interesting coincidence. Regarding your 31.5" barrels, a careful comparison of both barrel legends and both barrel s/n stampings might help indicate if the gun had been ordered as a 2 barrel set, or if the #2 barrels were fitted later. If originally ordered as a 2 barrel set the legends and stamps are likely identical. And the 2 barrel order should show on the production card. You might also look at the proof stamps on the bottom of both breeches to see if they are both Fox Proof/oval - or if the # 2 set is SP/oval indicating fitting at Savage in Utica. There are no surviving Phila or Savage records for factory repair/service work done at either factory after the gun was originally shipped. 32-inch barreled Fox smallbores are very rare and I hate to say this, there is one possibility your #2 barrel was trimmed 1/2" due to muzzle damage such as a fall on a rock, etc. In that case it would probably have soft solder between the tubes at the muzzle. Normally there would be small steel fillers (aka keels) there. You might try scratching the fillers with a sewing pin to see if the pin indents as it would in soft solder. Also If you can take and post a supermacro end-on pic of the muzzles, also some macros of both barrel legends and both barrel flats, that would help the folks here to comment further.

Silvers
Deetsman

Post by Deetsman »

Thanks for such a quick response. The longer barrels have the same stamp as the shorter barrels. Both say"Sterlingworth Fluid Compressed Steel" on the right barrel and "Made by A. H. Fox Gun Co. Phila. PA. USA on the left barrel. Both barrels have the oval with the Fox Proof stamped on the barrel flats under the right barrel. The longer set's forearm does not have as long or as elegant of a bead of wood where the forearm metal meets wood at the barrels. The barrels touch at the middle. I was able to get a small pin prick in the top wedge but was not able to get much of a mark on the bottom wedge. I will try at some point to get some pictures up. I have patterned the gun with the shorter set of barrels and found it to shoot much more open than the choke gauge would indicate. When I miked the barrels, the right barrel measured .662 inside and.650 at muzzle. With .012 of choke it patterned between a Sheet 1 and Cylinder. The left barrel had an inside diameter of .643 and a muzzle diameter of .635. With .008 choke it patterned between full and improved modified. I suspect the reamers had been sharpened a few too many times in that barrel. I have not patterned the longer set of barrels but the they both mike out at .656 and both have .026 of choke. Both have a muzzle diameter of .026. Thanks again and I will try and post some pictures soon.
Deetsman

Post by Deetsman »

Sorry, the longer set had a muzzle diameter of .630 with chokes of .026 in both barrels.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Those are some odd bore measurements. What did you use to measure them? Great gun, by the way.
Deetsman

Post by Deetsman »

I borrowed a bore micrometer from a friend. He had a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge set. I had to use the 12 gauge set. It came with a .700 ring to calibrate. It would get approximately 12 inches down the barrels. I took several measurement from the breech and muzzle end to get an average for the inside diameters. I used my calipers to check the muzzle diameter to see that I was getting the same as the barrel micrometers and they were both within.002 of each other. I feel that the measurements are good and I agree that they seem constricted when compared to my Utica Sterlingworth. Again thanks .
snakeeater

Post by snakeeater »

MARSHFELLOW wrote:$ 656.00 American
That's a low ball if I ever saw one! I will take all you have at that number.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Deetsman wrote "I recently purchased a 16 gauge Sterlingworth that had two barrels. One set was 28 inches. The other set was 31 1/2 inches.

Silvers wrote "We are aware of some 29.5" new unfitted barrels in 12 gauge and that happen to coincide with the standard metric barrel length of 75 cm."

Agree that's what it sounds like, especially since 31 1/2" also coincides with 80 cm. Hope you can get some pics up of the gun Deets. Welcome to the forum.

SRH
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I'm liking this!! Sounds like a candidate for an article for the Newsletter!! Getting a letter on the gun from the Savage historian would be the first step --

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/con ... tters.html

P.S. It might be better to start a new thread on this 16-gauge two-barrel set than leave it hanging here on the end of 8 pages of 32" Sterlingworths?
Share the knowledge
Deetsman

Post by Deetsman »

I finally got an opportunity to make a few photographs of the barrels. The gun was in a period case. It spent most of it's life with a cabbie in Cincinatti, Ohio. There were about 30 years of chauffeur's license and hat pins dating from the early 1930's until the late 1950's in the case. There were several things not correct about the gun. It has a light coating of rust and the case was covered with white paint spots. It has a badly fitted pad on the stock and what looked to be like sanding marks from some 80 grit belt sander in the heel and toe of the butt stock. The shorter set of barrels had very little blueing and some deeper rust. I decided it would be a rescue project and I added a replacement butt plate, glass bedded the receiver, and removed the rust and blueing and rust blued the barrels. The fore end on the shorter set of barrels had been broken along the bead where the fore end metal meets the wood and was broken about 2/3 of the length of the fore end. I cut out the section and then added a matching piece of wood and reshaped the bead along the fore end. The checkering was gone from the fore end which I recut. At some point a previous owner had some carving done on the fore end. I left the carving as it was too deep to do anything else. The longer set of barrels was in good shape so I did not touch them except to arrest the rust. The fore end from the longer set of barrels fits both sets of barrels so I have the option of using the better looking fore end if needed. The shorter barrel fore end will not fit on the longer barrels.

Take a look at the pictures and see if you can determine if the longer set of barrels have been cut. They are 31.5 inches but both barrels have between 2.5 and 3 inches of choke.

Cased 16 Gauge Sterlingworth

Both sets have the same roll stamps on the barrels.

Shorter set does not have a number 1 under the serial number. It has the Fox Proof stamp. I have blurred the last three digits.

The 31.5 inch set does have the #2 under the serial number. Again I blurred the last three digits.

Length of 31.5 inches.

I was able to get a pin to poke a small dent in the top keel or wedge, but was unable to get much of a mark on the bottom. There was no bead on either set of barrels and I only had a small mid bead to put on the barrel at the time. I put it in to provide a top/bottom reference. The barrels appear to touch in the middle.

This is the carved fore end and the repair I made to the bead.

I have enjoyed shooting this gun. I killed a grouse the first time I shot at one with the gun. The second trip I put the forearm from the longer set of barrels on the 28 inch barrels and missed two grouse. The third trip I put the carved fore end back on the 28 inch set and killed another grouse. At that point I decided the carving gave the 28 inch barrels their mojo and did the repair and refinished. I have shot a case of the RST shells through the 28 inch barrels and it is a wonderful gun to shoot.

I have sent in my application and will get a letter in the near future. I do think that the gun was shipped with a single set of barrels and the longer set was added later in life. A letter would verify.

Thanks for your help (Silvers, Hillis, Eightbore, and Researcher)in determining if the 31.5 inch barrels are original or have been cut.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

One new one to add to the mix. Serial number 119097. Sterlingworth 32" ejector. Mini-Bo-whoop. Will have at the NE SXS in two weeks.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

How 'bout some pics, Tom? 32" Foxes make my day.

Thanks, and congrats, SRH
JasonPeck

Post by JasonPeck »

Since we are back on the subject add #120069 to the list. 32" Sterlingworth extractor choked full/full.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 32" ejector I saw at a gun show last month.
AHFCA Life Member