HE Question

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Twice Shooter

HE Question

Post by Twice Shooter »

I don't have a lot of knowledge about Fox guns. I have an opportunity to buy a Fox HE with 2 3/4 inch chambers. It is in good condition. Years ago I recall reading somewhere that all HE's barrels were bored by Becker. Is that true or is it just one of those stories? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

Untrue. Becker was assigned to work with Askins and Sweeley to develop the special boring for the prototype HEs. However, regarding production HEs, Tom Kidd quotes a letter from Becker to Clarence Godshalk, stating he only did some high end HEs and the boring and test dept. did the rest. (see DGJ, 1994 and 1996 "High End Heavyweights' and "English Alliance") Mc Intosh also states this in his Fox book. 2 3/4" was the standard chmaber size even for 0 frame heavy HEs with 3" on request. Many HEs probably went back to the factory to have the 3" chambering done or had it done privately.
Twice Shooter

Post by Twice Shooter »

Mr. Kaas, thank you very much for the information. Twice Shooter
loggy

Post by loggy »

It was interesting to me that I could not find Mr. Becker listed on the production cards. There are some guns that are included on the Becker page that do not appear to have his name on the cards. I also expected to see more references to Mr. Buckingham.
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

Just off hand, you must have missed 30051..."see Becker" and 30050 "ship to Nash Buckingham". Both are DE Specials with Whitworth barrels...why would one expect to see frequent references to NB?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

About the time Nash left Olin and went to work in Washington for the fledgling waterfowl conservation organization, I believe he was rubbing elbows with many heavy hitters, and he was placing orders when they wanted a gun similar to his BoWhoop. Several guns in the 330xx range have "For Nash Buckingham" on the card.

As far as factory workers names on the cards, it seems the names I've noted the most are Ad Roll the A.H. Fox Gun Co. salesman, Naracom the head stocker, and in the Savage-era often "see Mr. Wright."
Share the knowledge
loggy

Post by loggy »

The summer 1996 DGJ has an article by Tom kidd that shows 33050 and 33051 as both being Becker guns that were ordered by Henry Bartholomew. One was for himself and the other for his friend Nash. I thought there would have been a fair number of "see Becker" guns. Nash had a lot of friends with money and I also assumed that he ordered more guns for them than seems evident from this list.
waterman

Post by waterman »

Does anyone know when Mr. Becker passed away there is a pic of him in the DGJ the pic was in 1956 when he was 85? Also does anyone know where he was burred. On Ho'ace Miller I read there is no grave for him . Does anyone what type of gun Mr. Miller shot when he hunted with Mr. Buckingham?
jmc

Post by jmc »

Waterman,

I don't know the answer to your first question, but as far as what Horace shot while hunting with Mr. Buck is probably that he did not shoot while 'guiding'. But who knows, perhaps he had a back up gun... good question though...

jmc
Fowlgunner

Mr. Miller's gun

Post by Fowlgunner »

Waterman,

I am not sure if there are any others but there is a photograph of he and Nash "Addressing" a point in Mr. Buck on page 99. Maybe someone will post it as I do not have a scanner.

It appears to me that he is using a Model 11 Remington while Nash sports a double of some kind.

The caption states that the photo is dated to sometime in the 1920's.

Will Gurton
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

Will, you beat me to it. I had "Mr Buck" out last night looking at p.99. It does look like a M11 or one of its cousins. In a number of NB's stories, Ho'ace is mentioned to have a gun with him often on a goose hunt to the Okeh Bar usually a hand me down hammergun from one of the BDDC members...

As far as Burt Becker's grave is concerned, I believe he spent his last years with family in California and was buried there. His grandson was in contact with a few Fox people a few years ago looking to acquire a Becker gun. I was approached but couldn't help him. More than likely he would know...
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Looks to me like Horace be packin" one oh dem John Browning-designed afromatics.

Share the knowledge
waterman

Post by waterman »

Thanks for the respond I to have the book Mr. Buck and Iwill agree on the Remington 11 . I didnn' know if he had one gun he used all the time. Someone said one of Mr. Buckingham people had his Winchester 1893/1897 does anyone now? I maid me an 1893/1937 in honer of Mr. Buck.