how much for an A grade with......

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Gretagrouse

how much for an A grade with......

Post by Gretagrouse »

Hi all,
Found an A grade today. First yr of prod. serial #75xx. Slighty loose to face, one barrel has been rebored to imp. It is now an imp/imp. dbl. 30 or 32" Krupps. Wood pretty nice. Bottom of stock on both sides of triggerguard boogered up, but not bad. Screws look like someone tried to turn them out with a hatchet. No dents dings or pitting in or on barrels. Barrels ring good and lever is still to the right. He's asking 1500., but I'm thinking of offering 1200-1300. What do you guys think. Going to ask for a wall thickness check also.
Thanks,
TIm
Brian

A Grade

Post by Brian »

That sounds high. Early A Grades seem to go for 10-20% less than later A's, mostly due to the lesser engraving and usually worse condition. I like the Early A's.
Anyway,
you have at least 150-200 to spend just to put it on face if its the hook alone.
Screws buggered, if you can live with them, okay, if not, getting them done right will cost a bit.

If the wood is sound, uncut, no chips, not sanded below the frame, the blue is at least good and not a crap reblue, and the bores are good and ribs solid, Id say (without seeing the gun) 1000. JMHO.
Brian
LTC, IN, USAR
Back in the land of the big PX
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc
President For Life- Southwest Asia Chapter AHFGCA
Gretagrouse

Post by Gretagrouse »

Hey Brian,
Thanks for the reply. I doubt if he'll go that low but I'll try. Heck, I asked him what grade it was and he told me, "it's an Ansley Fox." Duh!! Also told him someone opened the one choke and he asked what I meant. Told him they were usually mod/full, imp/full or full/full at that time. Guy's kinda of a d.s. but what are you to do?? Thanks again and thank you for your service to our country to keep myself and my family safe and free. Be safe and may God watch over you and bless you.

Take care,
Tim
Western Pa.
jmc

Post by jmc »

Gun with issues + you don't think much of seller... keep looking. Lot's of 12 ga. A Grades that are worthy of $1500 and will go another century w/little to no work. JMHO of course!

-jmc
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

For that kind of money you should be able to find a really nice early A-Grade. They are the most common of the graded Ansley H. Fox doubles. Often those early guns sported some really nice wood. The gun you describe sounds like a money pit to steer well away from.

P.S. I doubt a gun in the 75xx range is first year production, more like second or third.
Share the knowledge
NJdblgun

Post by NJdblgun »

I would have agree with keep on looking, alot of problems with this one. Loose on face, but lever to the right? the buggered up screws plus the other issues, there may be problems inside the action. But if it has 32" barrels, that would be something to think about, the very early A grades are nice.
George Lander

Post by George Lander »

The early A Grades also have short chambers. That's why an accurate wall thickness measurement is especially important. It sounds like this one has not been well cared for but could be a good candidate for a totall restoration. My gut feeling is that $1,000 would be about right then be prepared to spend at least another $1,000 for the restoration. 32 inch Krupp barrels would certainly be a plus.

Just My Humble Opinion......George
"Therefore, never send to know for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee"......John Donne
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

GG, theres a very decent early A grade that just went on GunsInternational last night....price is right. ( I have nothing to do with the offering). Marshfellow
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty