Something strange in a 20 gauge

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
vaturkey

Something strange in a 20 gauge

Post by vaturkey »

Not having a 20 gauge Skeet's, I looked at a 20 gauge Fox armed only with a dial caliper. Inside dimensions of the right barrel were .633. Outside dimension of the same barrel were .681 (all measurements at the muzzle). Left barrel inside was .608, outside was .676. Without being able to measure the inside bore diameter, it appears the nominal barrel thickness on the right barrel is .024 and the left barrel is .034. Gun itself is in outstanding condition overall. Any idea why the one barrel would mike bigger then the usual 20 gauge bore diameter of .615-618. Appreciate thoughts as I'm considering purchasing this gun for Quail and Woodcock. Thanks much.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The Savage-era "skeet cylinder" choke of the right barrels of many skeet guns tapered in .005" to .006" then flared out in the last inch or inch and a half.
Share the knowledge
vaturkey

that would seem to explain it.

Post by vaturkey »

Thanks much. Neat little gun indeed.
jentb737

Post by jentb737 »

Hello Virginia Turkey, You must have been at Laughlin Auctions, Inc.

Who knows how to post pictures on this site ????

Send me your email address and I will send you the pictures to post.

jentb737

jentpmitchell@msn.com
vaturkey

PM sent with e-mail address.

Post by vaturkey »

Sent them to me and I'll post them. Tom
jentb737

A H FOX aka Savaga 20 ga SPECIAL

Post by jentb737 »

Gentlemen, You can go to PHOTOBUCKET and enter (minescsm) and then (Vintager) with a capital "V" and you should be able to view the A H FOX Special 20 ga SXS. Jent
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

It appears to have all the features of the gun that was only listed in the 1934 Wholesale Price List, the "Fox Special" Skeet Grade.

However, in that it didn't ship until September 1939, the argument could be made that it is just an optioned up straight-gripped SPE-Grade with skeet chokes?!? Most likely it just spent five years in inventory.
Share the knowledge
jentb737

A H FOX 20 Gauge Serial Number 203681

Post by jentb737 »

This 20 Gauge A H FOX built by SAVAGE of Utica NY USA sold at Laughlin's Auction House on May 9, 2009 for approximately $1650.00 plus TAXES and possibly some fees too. I think the buyer got a bargain. Jent
boocoo

Post by boocoo »

Can you explain this issue a little more ?

The Savage-era "skeet cylinder" choke of the right barrels of many skeet guns tapered in .005" to .006" then flared out in the last inch or inch and a half.

So .005" to .006" range was kinda the norm, This choke must be great for quail,woodcock, bush type hunting / northeast.
vaturkey

This was indeed the same gun

Post by vaturkey »

I bid on this gun via proxy and didn't get it. Nice gun and nice wood to boot. Someone got something that will be awesome for quail and woodcock.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Did anyone here buy that gun? It was a bit of a sleeper for sure.