2024 Vintagers

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
DarylC

2024 Vintagers

Post by DarylC »

Spent Thurs at Hopkins Game farm, location of the 2024 Vintagers. Vendors were few, maybe 8 tables (?) and heavy on the European guns. Steve Cobb was set up but a very limited display compared to Ernie's or the Southern. The only Foxes I saw were on the course. Food truck was a joke but there was Molly's down the road if you were willing to leave the club. George Hopkins and crew were well prepared and things run well albeit a light crowd. Target prices were $67/50 and carts were $100/day. I guess if you want to play you have to pay. Still great to see old friends, really the only reason I attend, but I'm afraid the bloom is off the rose as they say.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Foxnut

Re: 2024 Vintagers

Post by Foxnut »

Daryl,
Thanks for the report. One thing that always baffles me about the late September/October shoots is the conflicts it creates with various hunting seasons (namely grouse, woodcock, some waterfowl, bow hunting seasons). I know some our primarily target shooters, some primarily hunters and some combination of the two. As for me when I get to Mid September and October my mind flips to dog work and grouse woods weather permitting. Such a limited time in the woods that I try to stuff it in when I can. I also wonder how the Fall Southern attendance has been and will be? Thanks - Brett
Regards - Foxnut
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

That's pretty much how I see it too Brett. I'd venture to say that about 75% of my shooting buddies are also hunters. It starts here in MD on Sept 1st with doves, then then 15th opens for bow and small game. I love shooting clays but my time afield is way too short for me to miss even one day.

In my opinion the VGC has deteriorated to just an expensive way to shoot clays. As I stated there were very few vendors there and quite frankly I spend very little time looking over their displays. What I spent on shooting just two events (125 targets) could have bought me 4 rounds of 100 at my local clubs. I only attended because the event was an easy drive for me here in MD.

As shooting director I was never contacted about any challenge event. Last year at the VGC in PA I set up the Fox International Challenge and it was successful even though the club wasn't set up properly until Fri at noon when it was supposed to be ready on Thurs morning.

Now on to SD next week for some bird hunting with good friends. Would I miss that for the fall southern? No way Jose.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks Daryl for your two reports. Sounds like I didn't miss much by not going. Good luck on your upcoming pheasant trip. Good times with your regular crew. Please remind a certain gent to leave his 8 bore at home. Wouldn't want to see him get in trouble. :lol: frank
Aan
brushbuster

Post by brushbuster »

Thanks for posting, I don’t feel too bad about missing the shoot now. It’s a shame, I really enjoyed it last year when it was out by Harrisburg.
I absolutely need to make the Rock Mountain shoot next year.
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

brushbuster wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:59 pm Thanks for posting, I don’t feel too bad about missing the shoot now. It’s a shame, I really enjoyed it last year when it was out by Harrisburg.
I absolutely need to make the Rock Mountain shoot next year.
Yes you do need to make the Rock Mountain shoot next year. It's a shooters shoot. You won't be sorry. Also please try to make Hausmann's next year too. It's the AHFCA centered shoot and we always need Fox shooters.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

DarylC wrote: Target prices were $67/50 and carts were $100/day.
:shock: Ouch!
brushbuster

Post by brushbuster »

I’ve gone to Hausmanns every year for a while but typically only a day trip. Look forward to it every year.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

See you at the booth….
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

So I talked with August at Steve Barnett's last week who told me he had an excellent show at the Orvis Game Fair event, and part of that was the liaison lady who had frequent contacts with August and with Bill at Robin Hollow asking how things were going and what Orvis could do improve for that show and next year's event. Apparently Orvis is actively looking to return to the days when it was THE place to see fine guns in the early Fall. He also mentioned that the Vintagers timing at Hopkins was just too close to the Orvis Game Fair to justify a second road trip from/back to MS. Lastly I learned that SBFG will be moving to a new location in (as I recall) Cleveland MS that's about 2 hours away from its current location in West Point. Move to be complete right after the first of the year. frank
Aan
simcgunner

Post by simcgunner »

Image went down to Maine to chase brookies and partridge. I would have gone but feel better now for missing it.
Attachments
fly fish.jpg