Ducks

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Jeff S

Ducks

Post by Jeff S »

It’s hotter than heck and the season won’t open for 5 weeks, but the blind needs a lot of work. It’s all part of hunting.
IMG_6616.jpeg
Foxnut

Re: Ducks

Post by Foxnut »

Repairing blinds, setting up ladder stands, ground blinds, etc. is all part of the hunt and makes the anticipation only grow stronger!!! Get er done!
Regards - Foxnut
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Jeff.
When I was duck hunting we used marshgrass that came in 40 foot rolls. We anchored that to marine grade plywood that we built a frame around using 2 inch PVC pipe that was secured to the plywood with fasteners. Used monster zip ties to hold the grass in place. Held up for about 4 years before the elements destroyed the grass. The frame itself lasted even longer. Was great. As you could cut the grass with heavy duty fabric sheers.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Sounds like a great duck blind. I’m not quite sure I understand your process. Would you be willing to meet on the lake this Saturday morning to show me how to do it?
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

As a teenager my best hunting buddy and I would grab a couple of wood crates from a local loading dock and haul them to the swamp where we hunted. We would literally throw them down and then stepped on them to crush the phragmites and then flip them and repeat for about 100 yards or so to what we called the “point”.

The point jutted out into a swamp on Duck Island. After making the trail and flattening a good spot we would use the crates for the floor of our blind. Good times.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

vaturkey wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:21 pm Jeff.
When I was duck hunting we used marshgrass that came in 40 foot rolls. We anchored that to marine grade plywood that we built a frame around using 2 inch PVC pipe that was secured to the plywood with fasteners. Used monster zip ties to hold the grass in place. Held up for about 4 years before the elements destroyed the grass. The frame itself lasted even longer. Was great. As you could cut the grass with heavy duty fabric sheers.
Tom, when I hunt out on the “marsh” I put wire fencing (1x3 squares) around the blind and then simply cut cattails and weave them in and out of the fencing. Works great! Out on the lake I have a wooden frame and then I drape pine boughs and brush on it. Works fair.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Jeff S wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:58 pm
vaturkey wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:21 pm Jeff.
Tom, when I hunt out on the “marsh” I put wire fencing (1x3 squares) around the blind and then simply cut cattails and weave them in and out of the fencing. Works great! Out on the lake I have a wooden frame and then I drape pine boughs and brush on it. Works fair.
Jeff, this is what we used, zip tied over the 2" PVC painted blank. PS. Bet yours is cheaper to make.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/852010906/ ... ch_click=1
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Wow Tom! That makes a pretty fancy blind.

It took a lot of work rowing 2x4’s, plywood and pine boughs out to the site, but I think this blind is ready. Five weeks until opening day.

IMG_6647.jpeg
IMG_6667.jpeg
IMG_6670.jpeg
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Looks good Jeff. I hunt out of Jon boat with a 6hp Go Devil mud motor. We grass up the boat with Fast Grass, great stuff. My son joined our duck club as did my hunting partners son. We have hunted ducks together for 38 years. It will be very nice to finish off our hunting days with our young strong sons. My son will be shooting his Fox CE, the family tradition continues.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

fox-admin wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:12 am Looks good Jeff. I hunt out of Jon boat with a 6hp Go Devil mud motor. We grass up the boat with Fast Grass, great stuff. My son joined our duck club as did my hunting partners son. We have hunted ducks together for 38 years. It will be very nice to finish off our hunting days with our young strong sons. My son will be shooting his Fox CE, the family tradition continues.
Sounds perfect!
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

Jeff, when was the last time your dad made opening morning hunt with you? i seem to remember he had difficult time getting in and out of boat,regards fred
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

44whiskey wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:47 pm Jeff, when was the last time your dad made opening morning hunt with you? i seem to remember he had difficult time getting in and out of boat,regards fred
Lot’s of good memories, but he passed in Jan 2023 at age 97. Thanks for asking.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Jeff: I serviced my mud motor today, checked my decoys to make sure the mice hadn't made a mess. Marsh is full of natural food this year and the BWT showed up. Duck calls all tuned up and plenty of non-tox in inventory. Nellie is in great shape, Mollie and Roxie are on deck. Our duck club annual clambake is the 19th and then two weeks to the opener. Life is good!
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Sounds like you are going to have a great season Craig! Nothing better than watching the sun come up over a marsh. I’m looking forward to some pictures.