Fox 20

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jabba3153

Fox 20

Post by Jabba3153 »

I am looking at purchasing a ah fox 20 there are a number of guns on GI my question is is it worth an extra 700 to get a deluxe model , a Philly or Utica I know about the difference and this gun is for hunting but it would be nice to have one that will hold it’s value will it hurt value to be opened up to 23/4 and re cased just wanted your opinion
Jeff S

Re: Fox 20

Post by Jeff S »

Well… if you buy a Utica 20 ga. it will already handle 2 3/4” ammo.

If you buy a Philly 20 ga. and have the chambers lengthen, some may consider it a deduction.

As for the “Deluxe”, they’re cute and probably worth a couple hundred more. It’s all a matter of personal preference. Which ever you choose, I’m sure you will enjoy it. A 20 ga. Sterly is a delight to carry in the woods.
Jabba3153

Post by Jabba3153 »

I agree I have 20 any 16 lefevers and I purchased a 16 fox sterlingworth which is in the running against my 20 lefevers for go to gun only my fair iside 28 is lighter looking fo to the fox 20 thanks for info
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The options of a recoil pad and twin ivory sights were available on the Sterlingworth from the introduction. The term Deluxe was used by Savage for a deal on combining those two options at a discounted price. This page was added to the relabeled 1929 A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalog that Savage used for 1930 --
Fox-Sterlingworth Deluxe intro January 2, 1930.jpg
Fox-Sterlingworth Deluxe intro January 2, 1930.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 393 times
1930 catalogue cover.jpeg
Savage was already offering a similar deal of a Jostam Anti-Flinch recoil pad and twin ivory sights on their J. Stevens No. 330 double.

The same year Ithaca Gun Co. offered a similar deal with a Hawkins recoil pad and twin ivory sights on their NID Field Grade --
1931 Ithaca Catalog Ithaca Field Special.jpeg
and on their Lefever Nitro Special and Western Arms Long Range Doubles.
Share the knowledge
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Most Fox guns on internet sales sites described as Deluxe are not original Deluxe guns. No, it is not worth extra money to buy these guns if the surcharge is more than a few bucks. The recoil pad will actually be a deduction in value. Recasing the gun unless it is a 100% restoration by a known firm will not add value. But a nice Utica gun and leave it's finish alone.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Put me in the camp of the Savage made Sterlys early in the production when they were still using Philly made splinter forearms and capped pistol grips. Most of those were made with 2 3/4" chambers, but some weren't. Worth checking that out before laying down the cash. I also think more of the Savage made Sterly's had less drop at heel then the philly made guns. I have owned two 20 gauge that were both 1 1/2" DAC and 2 1/2" DAH. IMO much easier to shoot those then the ones found earlier that have had more drop a heel. FWIW, I had one 16 gauge Philly made Sterly that had a 3 1/4" DAH and IMO that gun was unshootable.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Savage didn't state 2 3/4-inch chambers in their A.H. Fox catalogs until 1938, and except for guns sent back for repair we don't see the marking on the barrels until 1939 or later guns --
161267 10.jpg
I have a 1933 vintage 16-gauge that has the old 2 7/16-inch chambers intended for the 2 9/16-inch shells. All the 1936 and later vintage Fox guns in my collection have 2 3/4-inch chambers.
Share the knowledge