12 Gauge Double Barrel AH Fox Shotgun

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Ken Voytek

12 Gauge Double Barrel AH Fox Shotgun

Post by Ken Voytek »

Good morning. My son was given this gun. It is in nice condition but is missing the forend. We took some pictures of it today. He has sent for the factory paperwork on the model. The serial number is 18602 A. He found someone who could sell him a forend, but a good gunsmith to work on it. We live outside of Baltimore. We are unsure if it is worth the time and effort.
ahfoxgun.zip
(694.52 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
I uploaded some of the pictures.

I have two questions. Is it worth getting it restored? Do you know of a good gunsmith near Baltimore?
ahfoxgun.zip
(694.52 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
DarylC

Re: 12 Gauge Double Barrel AH Fox Shotgun

Post by DarylC »

Ken, I can't download your pics but I live in Parkville and would be happy to meet you to evaluate your gun.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Good afternoon, Ken. I was able to open your pictures and take a look at your son's Fox. The pictures are not terribly clear, but to my eyes it looks like a reasonably nice, "1st generation" AE. These guns were produced from 1906 thru 1913. This one was produced towards the tail end of that era. In the pictures, the frame looks rather dark, but I think that's just the lighting and the case colors. I hope that no one "blued" the frame. Based solely on your pictures (without handling the gun) I would say that there is no reason to restore the gun. What I mean is, it looks nice right now (love the half pistol grip). Plus, the cost of restoring this gun would exceed its finished value. It doesn't need restoring, it just needs a forearm. Now, regarding purchasing a forearm. Your gun left the factory as an AE, meaning that it has ejectors. If you buy a forearm, PLEASE make sure that it has ejectors. If you can find a forearm, we would all like to see your son out on the clays course sometime. Jeff

The forearm on the top is from an ejector gun. The forearm on the bottom is from an extractor gun. Big difference!!!
IMG_5388.jpeg
Ken Voytek

Post by Ken Voytek »

Thanks very much!. The stock is nice, and the pictures are not the best. The stock is not blued. It has some nicks and scratches, but it's not bad considering its age. My son found a forearm for the gun (yes, it is an ejector). We would need to find a gunsmith to marry the forearm to the gun. Not sure It is something he or I would be comfortable doing.
Ken Voytek

Post by Ken Voytek »

DarylC - Thanks! I will talk to my son. He has the gun and he needs to hear what you think. The pictures were not the best. It is a nice gun given its age and apparently it was used. I will let him know. Do you want to send me your email and phone number? Thanks again.

Ken, I can't download your pics but I live in Parkville and would be happy to meet you to evaluate your gun.
[/quote]
Ken Voytek

Post by Ken Voytek »

Does anyone know a good gunsmith in the MD/PA/VA region who does good work? Who can marry the replacement forend (forearm) to the existing gun to ensure it is done well? I suspect it is above my pay grade or my son's.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

If you want to use a good double-gunsmith within "driving distance" contact Gunter Pfrommer in Rocky Mount, VA.
Ken Voytek

Post by Ken Voytek »

Thanks! I have seen his name mentioned in other posts.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Ken, once you find an ejector forend you may find that it works without gunsmithing. First, find a forend.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Jeff may be the only poster who can figure out how to see your pictures. Help, what buttons should we push?
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

eightbore wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:15 pm Jeff may be the only poster who can figure out how to see your pictures. Help, what buttons should we push?
I was on my laptop which allowed me to open his “zip” file. Couldn’t do it on my phone.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I'm on my brand new iMac desktop and it wants me to download the pics. I ain't doing that. I had to have Apple do a data migration from my old Mac to this one, which used up part of my new memory. I'm gonna move with caution about piling more downloads into it.

If he would email me the pics I'd be glad to post them for him.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Here are 3 of the pictures
IMG_9185.jpg
IMG_9185.jpg (35.02 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
IMG_9176.jpg
IMG_9178.jpg
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Have you tried to install the forearm on the gun?
Ken Voytek

Post by Ken Voytek »

My son found a forend for the gun. I am not sure when he will pick it up.