What to do with this 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
eightbore

Re: What to do with this 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth?

Post by eightbore »

I would work in some kind of oil like Timberlux or Tru Oil after a nice light cleaning of the old finish but only with fine steel wool, no sandpaper. A professional wood or metal refinish will exceed the improved retail value of the gun.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

orpington wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:32 am Where would you obtain the proper brass bead and how difficult are they to install? What affixes the old one to the barrel? Is it threaded?
Most any competent gunsmith can replace that front sight with a correct brass bead. Those are threaded. I think that is a Bradley bead, but could be wrong.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

orpington wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:42 am No one has said anything about valuation. Any guesses?

What I had it for sale at on a few forums doesn’t really matter as it wasn’t for sale long and I didn’t have it for sale at a bargain price, and yet it’s hard to believe a 20 gauge Sterlingworth with only a bit of a challenge to the wood can’t be worth that in this day and age.

I also based my price on what I paid for this shotgun well before Covid—when everything, or so it seems, went up in price drastically—except for double barreled shotguns. I would have guessed that only applied to the 12 bore variety but I guess the 20 bore variety as well.

I bought this before the days of me being internet savvy or even being on the internet at all, when finding a 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth was much more difficult. I paid $2000 for it in June of 2012. Not having much else available, I thought it an okay price, but was disappointed with the finish. A gun dealer friend found it for me and I’ll admit I was disappointed with the wood finish when he showed it to me but I had said before I saw it I would take it and I’m true to my word.

I listed it for a few days at $2500 and no interest. When you add in the factory letter, even if I sold it for $2500, profits are slim.

Admittedly, if it was earlier and said Philadelphia on the barrel, it never would have been offered for sale at all.
I think the value imo is 2K to the right buyer. However if you wanted to move it I suspect you would have to ask in the 1700 dollar range. I sold a Fox 20 gauge Davage Sterly deluxe last year for 2600 in much better condition.
orpington

Post by orpington »

vaturkey wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:52 pm
orpington wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:42 am No one has said anything about valuation. Any guesses?

What I had it for sale at on a few forums doesn’t really matter as it wasn’t for sale long and I didn’t have it for sale at a bargain price, and yet it’s hard to believe a 20 gauge Sterlingworth with only a bit of a challenge to the wood can’t be worth that in this day and age.

I also based my price on what I paid for this shotgun well before Covid—when everything, or so it seems, went up in price drastically—except for double barreled shotguns. I would have guessed that only applied to the 12 bore variety but I guess the 20 bore variety as well.

I bought this before the days of me being internet savvy or even being on the internet at all, when finding a 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth was much more difficult. I paid $2000 for it in June of 2012. Not having much else available, I thought it an okay price, but was disappointed with the finish. A gun dealer friend found it for me and I’ll admit I was disappointed with the wood finish when he showed it to me but I had said before I saw it I would take it and I’m true to my word.

I listed it for a few days at $2500 and no interest. When you add in the factory letter, even if I sold it for $2500, profits are slim.

Admittedly, if it was earlier and said Philadelphia on the barrel, it never would have been offered for sale at all.
I think the value imo is 2K to the right buyer. However if you wanted to move it I suspect you would have to ask in the 1700 dollar range. I sold a Fox 20 gauge Davage Sterly deluxe last year for 2600 in much better condition.
I think $1700 might be generous, to be honest with you.

Despite 20 gauge shotguns being supposedly desirable and Covid driving up the value of most firearms, these 20 gauge Foxes certainly have been laggards.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I would get rid of the remains of the old finish before putting anything on it, Timberluxe or otherwise. A simple wipe down with acetone on paper towel will dissolve off all the old finish and leave it ready for a new finish, unless you need to raise dents. I would never rub a new finish over those old scraps of finish.
zacharysmith

Post by zacharysmith »

orpington wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 pm Is this a 1928 PRODUCTION shotgun that shipped in 1933?

How well does Timberluxe work, especially on a finish such as this?

Value?
TImberluxe is great stuff. I have nothing but positive felling's on the stuff. I would work the first couple coast with some very fine bronze wool. I apply the stuff with one finger in circles.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I agree with Stan, after reconsidering. Acetone is your friend. It will strip everything off and make the wood ready for new finish.
orpington

Post by orpington »

As far as a new bead sight, which one replaces factory original? Perhaps a link would be appropriate. There are many sizes and styles available.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

orpington wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:01 am As far as a new bead sight, which one replaces factory original? Perhaps a link would be appropriate. There are many sizes and styles available.
It appears your gun has been drilled and tapped for the Bradley bead that is on it. I think your gunsmith can pull that Bradly off and determine what the thread size is and go from there. PS. You can probably carefully unscrew it yourself and take it to Home Depot/Lowes and figure out what the thread size is and then order a brass replacement that fits from Brownells.

Bradly makes lots of different thread sizes.

https://bradleygunsight.com/products#8c ... e0ba2efd02
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Opinions will vary, but I suspect that $2,000 would be the max.
orpington

Post by orpington »

Jeff S wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:02 pm Opinions will vary, but I suspect that $2,000 would be the max.
I agree. I wonder why 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth shotguns haven’t experienced much of a value increase as compared to other firearms?
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

orpington wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:38 pm
Jeff S wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:02 pm Opinions will vary, but I suspect that $2,000 would be the max.
I agree. I wonder why 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth shotguns haven’t experienced much of a value increase as compared to other firearms?
I think their value has not dropped much if at all. Even in the 20 gauge condition counts and that particular gun lacks condition. Also having 26" barrels is a deal breaker for many. Most folks want longer barrels. The few folks who are ok with short barrels want more open chokes then full/mod..
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

It's a $1200. gun max in my opinion.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I agree with Craig. And further, with the o.p. who said his valuation would be higher with longer barrels. My 20 ga. Sterly Ejector with 28" barrels was bought for $1400. I just recently inletted a forend loop to strengthen the forend iron attachment, and refinished the wood, myself. I used the Pilkington style "sanding-in finish" and am thrilled with the way it turned out. This type refinish is so pleasing to me that I have done a total of four guns this way, this past winter, and am working on two more right now. If anyone would like to see pics of the projects just say so. But, without his permission I don't want to take away from the o.p.'s topic here.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Stan please post those pics. All of us have a well worn Sterly somewhere that is truly a shooter grade that needs a bit of Stock enhancement, if nothing more then protecting the wood from rain and such.
Last edited by vaturkey on Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.