Barrel part missing

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Tkline

Barrel part missing

Post by Tkline »

Hello all. I bought a pair of orphan barrels rather than change the chokes on my original Sterlingworth. The barrels arrived and seem in decent enough shape, but they are missing the small sliding plate that the forend compresses, I don’t know what it’s called. I will try to attach a picture. I am uncertain if this is a big deal, or it’s a part easily found. There’s quite a bit of work involved in fitting these barrels and getting them cleaned up, I know, but I don’t want to start something that can’t be finished if this is a bigger issue.
IMG_0969.jpeg
. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Stan Hillis

Re: Barrel part missing

Post by Stan Hillis »

The missing part you refer to is the cocking slide. Associated parts that you would need are a spring and a screw to hold it in place, assuming they are missing as well. Pretty common parts that I would assume to be available from Jason Barden at Pumpkin Mountain Gun Shop.

Someone here also may have the parts you need on hand and might be willing to sell them to you as well. Whoever fits the barrels can fit the parts, too. All cocking slides are not the same length, I have found.

Choose very carefully who you get to do the barrel fitting. Craftsmen who can properly and successfully do so are few and far between, IMO. Please keep us posted on how the project goes.

Good luck! SRH
Tkline

Post by Tkline »

Thanks so very much, Stan!
Tkline

Post by Tkline »

The spring is there, so I just need the cocking slide and screw - if anyone has those parts available, I would happily send a check. Thanks!
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Tkline wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm The spring is there, so I just need the cocking slide and screw - if anyone has those parts available, I would happily send a check. Thanks!
Jason should have what you need. They will need to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing.

https://www.ahfoxparts.com/