My first Fox.

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox
Wild Wings

My first Fox.

Post by Wild Wings »

After spending a year or so researching classic American side by sides Decided that I wanted to try and find a Fox that I would be able to use for some waterfowling this fall. I was in no particular hurry to buy one when I came across this nice looking Sterlingworth 12 gauge with 30" barrels choked IC and Modified and 2-3/4" chambers. I believe it was made in 1911. The stock was refinished and the barrels re-blued by a gunsmith who really knows his stuff when it comes to classic side by sides and he said this gun has hardly been used and no one had ever been into it before him. It's tight as can be and closes with a most satisfying click. This is my first classic side by side and my first post on this board.

I know I will need to shoot bismuth loads for waterfowl and it seems everything I can find online are 2-3/4" , 1-1/4 ounce loads in bismuth. Would these be suitable for this gun or should I keep searching for an 1-1/8 ounce load? Thank you for any help in advance and happy shooting to everyone.

WW
Attachments
20240112_115035.jpg
20240112_115019.jpg
20240112_115010.jpg
Upland Hunter

Re: My first Fox.

Post by Upland Hunter »

Congratulations on your first Fox.

Have the gun checked by a competent gunsmith if you have concerns about this vintage SW then experiment with lead loads on trap, clays or five stand and see how the loads feel and function from 1 oz to 1 1/4 oz.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Congratulations and welcome to the world of Fox Shotguns. Personally, I’ve shot a lot of ducks with 1 oz. loads of bismuth. Having a very competent gunsmith inspect your gun is always a good idea. We would love to see pictures of you, your gun, and some dead ducks this fall.
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

WW,

Congratulations on your first Fox. It's quite possible you will acquire more.

By the way, you have an early Sterlingworth. The early ones like yours are called "Pin Guns" because of the exposed hinge pin. It is also called a "Model 1911" and you will probably see that marked on the fore end iron where the serial number is marked. Picture below.

The trigger guard has been reblued and buffed to the point where, to me anyway, it's tough to see what the serial number is. It kinda looks like 5 7 ? 2 ?. Let us know what that number is. And it's OK, to reveal the whole serial number.

I have one of those early Sterlingworth Model 1911 Pin Guns - serial number 57979 that was shipped on October 24, 1911.

Welcome to The Fox World.

Jolly
IMG_0395-1.jpg
Wild Wings

Post by Wild Wings »

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.

My gun was checked and worked on by Chris Dawe out of Nova Scotia and he was very happy with the gun.

I just checked the gun and you were right Jolly Bill. I know they only made the Pin model 1911 for about two years so that's extra fun!

I'm looking forward to learning how to shoot it effectively. Hopefully I won't have too long of a learning curve with it. So much to learn.

WW
Attachments
20240113_094843.jpg
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Nice looking pin gun. Like Jeff, an once of bismuth would do just fine in that gun much to the chagrin of the ducks. Enjoy.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Wild Wings wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:59 am Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.

My gun was checked and worked on by Chris Dawe out of Nova Scotia and he was very happy with the gun.

I just checked the gun and you were right Jolly Bill. I know they only made the Pin model 1911 for about two years so that's extra fun!

I'm looking forward to learning how to shoot it effectively. Hopefully I won't have too long of a learning curve with it. So much to learn.

WW
If Chris gave the gun his blessing you are good to go. He is well respected in both Canada and the US.