Fitting a raw barrel in the white

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Old Colonel

Fitting a raw barrel in the white

Post by Old Colonel »

I picked up a barrel in the white several years back.

I want to get it fitted to an extractor A 16ga I have.

I have the barrel the extractor parts etc, I do not have a new forend,

It is raw.
—It needs the rib filed (if someone knows who has the matting machine, I would appreciate a lead)

—barrels filed and fitted

—Chambers cut

—cut chokes

—extractors fitted

—forend fitted

I could go on but you get the picture.
Jeff S

Re: Fitting a raw barrel in the white

Post by Jeff S »

Jon Hosford has the matting machine. I just visited with him this afternoon.
Scroll&Roses

Post by Scroll&Roses »

I also am having have the parts to have a barrel added to my Sterlingworth. I do have some questions. I think I found a person to do it, but wonder what will be needed besides parts for the proceedure. Gun seems to be in good order.
One question stands out is " how are the ends of Fox barrels finished?"
Are there little triangular pieces put at the end and soldered in place? Or is it all just excess solder? I want to thank Jason at Ahfoxparts for the barrel. It rings like a bell, and looks to be in good condition, but seems to be missing the end though. Great guy in my opinion, and thank you again for the trigger guard screw!
Attachments
End of 29½" sterlingworth barrel from ahfoxparts
End of 29½" sterlingworth barrel from ahfoxparts
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I believe you are referring to barrel keels as the little pieces of triangular steel that into the ends of the barrel along with solder.

Here is a link from the forum that might prove helpful.

http://forum.foxcollectors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1111
Scroll&Roses

Post by Scroll&Roses »

Thank you for the link. I have read it in it's entirety, and am aware that these barrels have been shortened ½". Jason and I couldn't conclude why, perhaps for another model of Fox coming out.

I was just hoping to know. 1. The keel information( this is good information by the way thank you) and now
2. Will this prove to be a problem to solder one in? Will it unsolder the rest of the rib? Can it be done by a competent smith or better left alone? Are keels installed when the rest of the ribs are installed?

I mic'd the chokes. They come out x full on the mic.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

29.5" corresponds to 75 cm which was/is a typical metric barrel length. Possibly Fox made up these barrels for a foreign order that never materialized or was cancelled.

Keels were soldered in place after the ribs were done. I'm familiar with keel replacements and I use mild steel fillers and an oxyacetyene "soldering copper" which applies high heat just to the localized area rather than using a torch and risking the barrel ribs there at the muzzles. Quick high heat and a good soldering flux are key. Once soldered in place the keel(s) are easily dressed down with a file and I'll finish with emery paper before faux age coloring. Note that I'm not in the biz and this reply is just for info and to say I'm not looking for work. Also I can't help with a good gunsmith recommendation because I do all my own Fox mechanical work and occasionally for friends. Hopefully one or more members will step up with names based on their personal experience with keel fitting work. Lastly, I wouldn't recommend most gents trying to do steel keel replacements themselves. frank
Aan
Scroll&Roses

Post by Scroll&Roses »

Thank you sir. Puts me a bit at ease. I'll send it in and let the work begin.
Scroll&Roses

Post by Scroll&Roses »

Well, I got a quote from a smith about two weeks ago to do the job. Got the parts in, and now I can't seem get a hold of him. Answering machine says he is full up with a waiting list.

Anyone else people here would trust to put another set of barrels in the white on a sterling worth?