New to fox / Should I restore?

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Sean_M

New to fox / Should I restore?

Post by Sean_M »

Hello everyone,

I am new to the fox world and received some hand me downs from my grandfather. I do not know anything about these two shotguns but I wanted to ask some questions before I do anything to them that might hurt the value. These two have never had any work to them other than maintenance to my knowledge.

Should I refinish the bluing and get the stocks worked on or would that hurt the value?

Is there some place I can go to find out the worth of two shotguns?

Also if refinishing is the right move, where can I look for a good one?

Thank you for any and all advice or assistance. As I said I know nothing about older guns.
Attachments
IMG_6611.jpeg
IMG_6609.jpeg
IMG_6612.jpeg
IMG_6608.jpeg
IMG_6682.jpeg
Researcher

Re: New to fox / Should I restore?

Post by Researcher »

What part of the country are you in? If anywhere near the mid-Atlantic make a trip to the Southern Side-by-Side in Sanford, NC, in April --

https://www.southernsidebyside.com/

There will be plenty of folks there to give you advice and evaluation.

I'd say have them checked out by a good double gun smith and if all is well shoot and enjoy them gently. For me restoration would remove all your grandfather's memories. The 16-gauge Sterlingworth started life with 2 7/16-inch chambers intended for the then "standard" 2 9/16-inch 16-gauge shells, so may require shorter shells than the now "standard" 2 3/4-inch 16-gauge shells.
Share the knowledge
Sean_M

Post by Sean_M »

Thank you, I am located in middle TN. It looks to be about an 8 hour drive so not terrible if I find a reason to head down out that way.
Rbishop

Post by Rbishop »

If they were mine I would send them to a good gunsmith for an examination and a cleaning/lubricating. I wouldn't do anything else to them. Just my two cents.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Nice guns with a lot of history/memories. You’ll find that there are a lot of “purists” in this group. If they pass inspection, many of us would encourage you to keep them in original condition. Enjoy them just as you grandfather did. I’ll be driving to the Southern from Michigan. Hope to see you there. Jeff
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Jeff S wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:47 pm Nice guns with a lot of history/memories. You’ll find that there are a lot of “purists” in this group. If they pass inspection, many of us would encourage you to keep them in original condition. Enjoy them just as you grandfather did. I’ll be driving to the Southern from Michigan. Hope to see you there. Jeff
Rbishop wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:53 pm If they were mine I would send them to a good gunsmith for an examination and a cleaning/lubricating. I wouldn't do anything else to them. Just my two cents.
Two good recommendations.

Yes, get them checked out for function and safety and fix what needs fixing but keep your grandfathers DNA untouched and proudly and respectfully add yours. And think of him when you have them in your hands. Use the guns for a while and then decide.

My Aunt Laura and Uncle Jack gave me my first gun, their Remington model 510 single shot bolt action .22, when I was 12. I used it for many years and gave it to my nephew who eventually gave it to his son. I got to handle it again last summer at a family get-together. It was awesome.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

The C grade in your last picture looks very nice but well used. I would advise you to leave them as is. Restoration is costly ($3000.+) if done by a top double gun craftsman and will not increase the value. Collector value honest untouched guns even if well used but not abused.
Sean_M

Post by Sean_M »

Thank you all, great information! I will be keeping them as is and finding a good gunsmith to make sure they are in working order!
Sean_M

Post by Sean_M »

Also, just wanted to leave a quote from my grandfather “a gun does no one any good gathering dust.” Can’t wait to get these up and running again.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Sean_M wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:21 pm Also, just wanted to leave a quote from my grandfather “a gun does no one any good gathering dust.” Can’t wait to get these up and running again.
Sean,
Your Grandfather was a wise man!!!
Regards - Foxnut