Winchester Model 71

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
SPE33

Winchester Model 71

Post by SPE33 »

BCD3F36C-10E9-4BDA-B926-62648E012C9D.png
Ok...I know this is a totally impractical rifle here in Ohio but it sure is sweet.Built in the mid-forties it’s a Winchester Model 71 deluxe short rifle,sometimes called a carbine.20” barrel,checkered pistol grip and forearm and factory equipped for sling swivels.Only rifle as far as I know factory built in 348 Winchester. Just what I need if I ever encounter a crazed moose or grizzly bear in my backyard.
Researcher

Re: Winchester Model 71

Post by Researcher »

I started collecting Model 71s when the Standard Grades were $350 and the Deluxe were $500. Ran out of steam when prices passed about $800.
Model 71 Collection 02.JPG
I never found an honest short rifle/carbine. The American Rifleman reviewer really panned the carbine when it came out as being essentially ridiculous. May have contributed to why there are so few and they are such collector darlings.
Share the knowledge
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Don't know what is going on, but I seem to often be getting duplicate posts on our site.
Share the knowledge
SPE33

Post by SPE33 »

Thought about a factory letter but for this model all it would give me is the serial number application date,would not confirm the configuration of the gun.Does anyone know if there are other options available to me?
SPE33

Post by SPE33 »

Contacted a Winchester historian, per the information I provided him he assured me that it is a factory short rifle. Build date of September 1942.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Nice piece, good for you. I've had a number of 71's, both rifles & carbine and have yet to shoot one. I'm going to shoot the next one that comes along.
t
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

L
Ok...I know this is a totally impractical rifle here in Ohio but it sure is sweet.Built in the mid-forties it’s a Winchester Model 71 deluxe short rifle,sometimes called a carbine.20” barrel,checkered pistol grip and forearm and factory equipped for sling swivels.Only rifle as far as I know factory built in 348 Winchester. Just what I need if I ever encounter a crazed moose or grizzly bear in my backyard.
[/quote]

I’ll bet it’s fun to shoot.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Honest Model 71 short rifles-carbines may be easily distinguished by their forged/integral front sight boss. On the other hand cut off rifles will have a sight base that’s screwed or sweated on.

I'm pretty familiar with Model 71's but really they're for short range woods/heavy game hunting by younger users with good eyesight even when equipped with the integral bolt peep or a good Lyman or similar receiver peep sight. The current market seems to be reflecting that as nostalgic owners grow old and recognize they can't see the sight(s) too well, and young guys are mainly looking for longer range capable rifles equipped with optics. Couple that with very limited/no availability of factory ammo from the big 3 US makers. Yeah I know 71's still warm the hearts of collector sorts but consider that regular 24" Model 71's that commanded about $3K just a few years ago will now languish for sale in the low $2K's. That's for honest higher condition guns; yeah I know a flat out mint Deluxe 71 might still bring some good bucks from the right guy. Those in lesser condition and/or with left side of the receiver full of scope mount holes will go wanting except at relatively low pricing. A sad situation for a grand Winchester in the modern world. frank
Aan
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

My 71 is a standard 24" Deluxe with factory bolt peep, and super grade swivels,first year gun built and stocked by John Oberlies in 1936 for Robert Patterson, president of National Cash Register company. With .348 ammo so dear, like Marshfellow, I have never shot my 71.
SPE33

Post by SPE33 »

I’ll be keeping my eyes open for ammunition at the gun shows now.Thankfully,the gun remains in original,unaltered condition as it left the factory right down to the steel buttplate on September 24th,1942.Kind of neat to have a gun built during the war years.Has all the features of a pre-war gun except for the long tang which was phased out about 3000 series numbers earlier.Of the 3010 guns the Winchester historian has on file only 135 are recorded as being 20” barrel deluxe models.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The top gun in my accumulation is a long-tang with three-digit serial number that came out of Ohio. I found it at Jaqua's in 1982. At least 30 years ago I shot one of my rifles down in the old gravel pit at a buddy's Southern Maryland hunt club. Used a box of old Remington 200-grain Soft Points. Some of the boys were upset with me for blowing up their bowling pins they used as pistol targets.
Share the knowledge
coues

Post by coues »

I have a 71 converted by DNC ( David Clay ) to a 50-110. Wonderful job. I have taken a cow elk with it but now sits in the safe. I may need to dig it out and shoot it again.
Attachments
IMG_0944.jpeg
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Share the knowledge